Logo

1999 Johnson 115 HP problems

Not much information to even think what might be wrong here.-----Post everything you have tried / know about this motor.---Include how long you have owned it and if it sat around for a long time.

Sorry Guy's, I bought this boat 2 1/2 months ago from a man that told me the boat was stored in a warehouse for about 6 months. The first 6 times I took the boat out and it ran great. I have noticed that the past 3 trips out the boat at high RPM's would cut out every now and then like a plug or wire was breaking down. Now it's doing it all the time at 3000 to 4500 RPM's. By the way it's starting to idle a little rough. I have ran about three tanks of fuel through the motor but never ran it out of fuel. I have added some sea foam to the last tank of fuel and ran about a quarter of a tank out. yesterday I put new spark plugs in the motor but have not had it out yet to see if it made a difference. I have noticed that when I prime the bulb it gets hard and I can hear on the first pump fuel going into one carb.any ideas.

Model # is ??-------are you mixing oil at 50:1 ??-------Is the oil injection system in service ?---If so have you confirmed that it is indeed injecting the proper amount of oil ?

The model # is j115pleem and the oil injection is working as far as I can tell about every two or three trips out to the lake I have to add some oil to the reservoir . I'm not sure if it's getting the proper amount of oil, not sure how to do that, but it is using oil.

i would do two quick things....check the compression and look for all 4 cylinders to be within 10%...the reading will vary according to your gauge etc but should be somewhere in the 100 area...then if compression is ok i would use an inductive timing light to make sure all 4 cylinders are firing with no miss...if those two things dont show the problem up then you will need to get into the amount of spark....that engine should jump a 7/16 inch gap with a good snap...

I went out to the lake yesterday and ran my boat, when it motor started cutting out I had a friend squeeze the fuel bulb and it was soft, when he squeezed the bulb it helped, I also checked the compression and all cyclenders were the same right at 100. What would be the next step if my bulb and fuel line are good.

Having to use the manual pump to improve the running clearly indicates that the fuel system needs attention.-----Repair kits are available for the VRO and they are quite easy to work on.-----Check all hoses / fittings too.-------Perhaps it just needs new o-rings in the fuel connectors.-------If the motor is running off of a plastic fuel tank, then check the pick-up tube inside your tank.

ok I have found out that I have a bad power Pack. my question is do I have to make any adjustments after I replace the power pack ? I have a manual and there is a lot of adjustment settings. any ideas. Thanks

Back