Logo

Grinding on "case hardened" metal

17ft'r

I have a 1963 18 hp Johnson outboard motor. I am rebuilding the (lower end) and all looks good however the (edges) on the ID tabs on the (forward) gear) are (rolled) over if you will due to (improper) shifting.

I need to re-radius the edge that is coming in contact with the (clutch dog).
I believe the gears are case hardened for obvious reasons, so is it possible to (re-introduce) a more (pronounced) edge? and what tool wood a (shade tree) mechanic use?

Takes for any help, and have a great Holiday Season,

17ft'r

You could use a dremel with a stone that would be used for sharpening a chainsaw.-----------But be very careful how you do this as it is important to have the correct angle.-----------Also VERY important is to make sure you remove the same amount from both.---No point in having one lug doing all the work.

I retired from an aircraft engine casting co. and I think I'm needing to remove about .030" (sorry) I was never a "fraction" guy.
I can come up with maybe a piece of film to use for a (template) to monitor the "lug" radius and maybe a (small) straighyt edge. I think that is as precise as I can get.

QUESTION: The (edges) are really just marred, the radius seems barely interupted, in fact I am tempted to leave it alone and just be careful when shifting.

what do you think?

again thanks,

17ft'r

You bring up a great question. As I was in the lower end and took everyting apart and reassembled I couldn't help but notice the "cradle", since at that point the skeg/cradle (screw) was removed it just looked like the cradle is (spread). As I asked more questions I was told that "once the (outside) screw is in place it will be fine".

The dog is in good shape.

17ft'r

Back