Logo

v-6 x-flow question

zackfactor

Regular Contributor
i have a 1984? 185hp johnson accordng to the hood as well as the id tag. this may be a pieced together engine not sure so here is my question. there is a nipple coming out of the intake for the pulser hose on the fuel pump.(normal) this is located to the right of the bottom carb. now there is a second nipple identical to the one i first described directly above the other one next to the middle carb. what is this for? i cant find it on any parts diagham. when i got the engine (which was a trade in) there was nothing on this nipple however the engine was sneezing exhaust out of it. i have since put a plug on it and now the motor no longer sneezes and seems to run alot better. is it ok to plug this hose? thanks in advance for your help this site is an excellent resource and i am very greatful for it.

I do not think that it was " sneezing exhaust " as the exhaust is no where near that fitting.--------------On earlier motors there were 2 fuel pumps and perhaps this motor only has the one pump.------It was crankcase compression leaking out of that fitting and you have fixed that leak.

In agreement with Racerone... nothing to add to that.

A suggestion though, with no intention of creating an offense.... You say "to the right of the bottom carb". That could be either side depending on where one is standing.

Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs.... Right = Starboard.... Left = Port. It's best to use this terminology to determine location in the marine line.

Back