Logo

Fuel oil ratio

That is an interesting recommendation I shall try 40to1 . Can you tell me where you got the information from ? Do you know how the extra oil is of benefit? does it act as a corrosion inhibitor? Thanks

Motors from the 1950's ran on 24:1 and many of them still run like new.----They smoked and that is percieved to be bad.------------For most folks a motor run at 50:1 will outlast them.---Manufacturers know that most folks will like less smoke and quicker " wear out " and the need to buy a new motor.--------The " quicker wear out " is noticed over years and can not be measured an a day to day basis.-----It stands to reason that the more oil there is in a machine then the better the lubriation and less wear and tear.-----The concept / fine details of how a 2 stroke engine is lubricated is not well understood today !

Thanks for the reply , as a matter of interest I have a 1959 British Seagull outboard that runs on 10 to 1 ratio but in this case the extra oil is to aid the crankcase seal and it smokes and then some ;) . However the Johnson is a more sophisticated device , so has there been any issues with the leaner burn at 40 to 1 ?

40:1 is " more oil " than 50;1 !----------2 stroke outboard motors do not have to " burn oil " , that is an unfortunate event.--------Lubricating oil is introduced via the fuel , then seperates to coat all the internal parts with oil.----Some of the oil is dragged into the combustion chamber and ends up as the smoke.-----------The new Evinrude E-TEC 2 stroke motors are basically using a computer to do the oiling.----The straight gasoline ( no oil in it ) is injected into the cylinder after ports close.

Thank you for that , the point I was raising was as the oil ratio increases so the fuel percentage must by volume decrease therefore the engine is burning hotter or leaner , or have I got it wrong ?

I have been running on the recommended 40 to 1 ratio , There is a little smoke on start up but after 5 mins or so it clears and the engine runs smooth and quiet . In answer to my previous post on ratio/richer/leaner the plugs are the right colour and the engine shows no sign of distress :)

Back