Logo

Briggs and Stratton 5hp Outboard 4500 backfires

toddbmobile

I have a 2006 Briggs and Stratton 5hp 4500 outboard engine. The engine cranks fine every time. I pull the choke out then put the throttle in the correct position and the engine cranks right up every time. However sometimes after I have given it time to warm and push the choke in the engine will shut off. If I leave the choke out and rev the engine higher than the start position (which is the throttle's middle setting) the engine may or may not sputter and will backfire.

So today, I replaced the fuel filter and now I can push the choke in after the engine warms up (filter may have not really fixed the choke problem), but the engine still sputters and backfires.

Before I have the engine serviced, I'd like to get some advice from some Briggs and Stratton outboard owners.

Thank you for the quick reply. How would I get the Seafoam into the carb? Would I just disconnect the fuel line at the filter and pour it into the crab through the fuel line?

I have a 2006 Briggs and Stratton 5hp 4500 outboard engine. The engine cranks fine every time. I pull the choke out then put the throttle in the correct position and the engine cranks right up every time. However sometimes after I have given it time to warm and push the choke in the engine will shut off. If I leave the choke out and rev the engine higher than the start position (which is the throttle's middle setting) the engine may or may not sputter and will backfire.

So today, I replaced the fuel filter and now I can push the choke in after the engine warms up (filter may have not really fixed the choke problem), but the engine still sputters and backfires.

Before I have the engine serviced, I'd like to get some advice from some Briggs and Stratton outboard owners.

Hi there - Backfiring through the carb under load (once warm, choke off or partially off) Usually(not always) Points to Lean Backfire (could be anything from a blocked-off Tank filler cap breather hole,to a Partially blocked main jet...
You Have Cleaned & gapped the Sparkplug ? many overlook the obvious... Before you get in over your head & make the problem worse & be resigned to marina shop charges,if you don't fix it,with input from others here, checkout your local small engines repairer/lawnmower shop rates...as its basically a lawnmower top end of the outboard & the (ultimate fix) may not be as costly or difficult as possibly 1st thought...

Goodluck & you can yell back...
PS as above post, did it come on slowly OR happen abruptly , as a Big initial backfire may have bent or blown something slightly,(like a now leaky inlet gasket,adding to the trouble)
Cheers

Back