Logo

1990 Sea Ray 350 SunDancer LEAKS:(

:mad: I purchased a the above boat in the Title at seasons end. here is my problem.
The boat was washed by the previous owner 3 separate times while we were viewing and talking. It was surveyed by MY person. Everything looked good, except the sliding windows that all leak on these models. I moved the boat from the Chagrin River to the Sandusky Bay, approx. 75 miles. beautiful Day 1' seas, boat ran GREAT. Got to the dock, tied up and went below decks. On the starboard side by the forward porthole I see a HUGE nasty colored water stain that went from the top of the headliner down to the divider. I put water every where on the boat using high pressure. No water leak anywhere.
Pulled the starboard running light and re sealed. Cleaned the leak area with scrubbing bubbles and figured got it fixed. Again no water at dock, through rain storms, washings nada. DRY. Take her out for a spin, nice day, back and all this NASTY colored stain same spot. The same Nasty color is weeping externally out the weep holes in the bottom of the rub rails? If I pull the rub rail on the starboard side, what can I expect to find? What can I use to re-seal-re-caulk the area? I am almost positive this is the water problem. Water going under the rails and in, yet when I use a hose nothing .
Open to any and all suggestions, except burning her or selling her:) LOL
Thanks Folks.
Gator

Hmmm, being washed the 3 times when you visited eh?

I assume its double skinned? Perhaps a reason you dont get the water when hosing, is that the dirty water is in-between the double skins, ie cabin roof and deck top), and that with the motion of you taking her out, you set in motion the trapped water....which then becomes visible? Its a theory of course but would make sense given the description..

Can you, or would you..... be prepared to remove headliner and drill a small hole? On a time when the boat has been externally dry for a few days in a row? If water pees out, you know its trapped in there...if so you may need to drill a bigger hole to accept a small syphon tube in order to get it out. Or if you tapped the cabin roof and listened carefully, you may hear a change in the 'tap' where the water may have pooled..

Last edited:
The reason for the washing is the boat was moored by a power plant and the stacks throw off soot:(
Again no leak when I wash it, put a hose to it blasting everywhere for 1/2 hour or more.
The Survey used a meter on the topside decks, no moisture showing. I think I'll pull the rub rail and check the seam between the topside and the hull see if that's wet.
Gator

Hmmm, being washed the 3 times when you visited eh?

I assume its double skinned? Perhaps a reason you dont get the water when hosing, is that the dirty water is in-between the double skins, ie cabin roof and deck top), and that with the motion of you taking her out, you set in motion the trapped water....which then becomes visible? Its a theory of course but would make sense given the description..

Can you, or would you..... be prepared to remove headliner and drill a small hole? On a time when the boat has been externally dry for a few days in a row? If water pees out, you know its trapped in there...if so you may need to drill a bigger hole to accept a small syphon tube in order to get it out. Or if you tapped the cabin roof and listened carefully, you may hear a change in the 'tap' where the water may have pooled..

The reason for the washing is the boat was moored by a power plant and the stacks throw off soot:(
Again no leak when I wash it, put a hose to it blasting everywhere for 1/2 hour or more.
The Survey used a meter on the topside decks, no moisture showing. I think I'll pull the rub rail and check the seam between the topside and the hull see if that's wet.
Gator

Water at the rub rail just simply....cannot... rise to the roof! Its evidence of water in the double skins..

But!......... Go knock yourself out searching when logic has already demonstrated where it is...!

Sorry about the late reply. I replaced all 4 portholes located below the rub rail. Two had cracks in them and it seems when underway they opened to the boats movements and allowed the water to enter the forward cabin in the area above and below them.
The jod was a pain, finding replacements worse, but it is now leak free. Hurray!!!!!!!!!!

Back