Logo

Outboard questions

Big Bad John

Hi, Im a new member - but not new to boats and outboards. Last boat was a 20 footer Norman Conquest, centre cockpit, with 9.9 Honda OB.

Now since I sold my cruiser Ive been keeping my eyes open for a bargain outboard project, and now Ive bought a Tomos 3 at auction for £20! (I know there is a tomos section but its not been posted on for months, besides, my query now is general)

So, the pull cord wont pull, the prop wont turn, I was thinking either seized pistons or something in lower leg needs freeing....its currently got the plug out and a 'special oil mix' in the bore to soak for a few days... in case its seized.

However, it has a throttle/tiller arm, and it suddenly dawned on me maybe it was stuck in gear... and thats why it wouldnt turn nor the prop...but as its 'now' got the 'mix' soaking the single piston I didnt pick it up to look at the throttle/gear linkage...

Im really hoping it is that, why? well because the rubber on the twist grip was virtually hanging off, but I did give it a twist and its very very stiff, hence me thinking its in gear, and thats a reason why it wont turn...currently....

I followed what looked like a plastic tube coming out of the tiller arm, literally it looks like a small clear plastic flexi tube...cant see where it leads as like I say the OB is horizontal for oil to penetrate etc etc...and 'no' other cables. So as my last boat had a steering wheel and no tiller arm control, I need to know what should be coming from the tiller to the engine or carb, Id assume it will be a metal wire going to throttle control rather than a plastic tube?

Also, if a cable or something is missing, and as the twist grip is in bits, is there such a thing as a "universal" tiller throttle that I can just swap over?

For now then, thanks for any and all input and advice!

Cheers

Quick update, my mix in the piston did the trick, managed to turned the prop (quite easy) and can hear piston working fine... pull start wont budge so me thinks its the return spring inside busted or rusted... minor issue compared to now having the piston/prop moving again.

Also followed that tube from the throttle/tiller, it actually has a wire inside it and goes to carb, where I think it has seized a bit as nothing moves when working the throttle twist grip...but again, least of my worries now!

So a £20 engine coming back to life - slowly... yay!!

But if anyone knows about a new tiller arm or even just the rubber twist bit that'd be great to hear from you!

Cheers

Back