Logo

Shifter problems with 50efi

Scottyd

Im sorry, I am not sure even what the part is called. It is related to the shift controls and is basically a rubber nipple that is moved when the throttle pushes it up. The metal plate behind it loses connection and the motor won't start. This problem occurred before and the local Honda guy put in in and out of gear and it worked. But didn't seem to fix the problem, now the nipple is so shot or the plate is too flimsy, I can't decide. Currently it is rigged and works, but slips out in reverse and has to be adjusted. I can't replace the part since I don't know what it's called- or their might be a simpler fix? Thanks, any guidance is greatly appreciated. Love the site

Yessir, that seems to be it. Thank you so much- I'm assuming I'm gonna order 13-15 part no.s to replace the plate as well as the rubber piece. Thanks again

It looks like 13, 14 and 15 will get you the switch, nut, bracket and plate.

If you are in the USA, this motor came with a 5 year warranty. Unless you bought it in early 1997, it should still be covered if there is a defect in the parts.

Also, when you get this all put on, be sure the shift cable is adjusted so that the shift mechanism on the engine is in neutral and in the detent.

Mike

Back