Logo

Pontoon boat, anode. how do they work

meandmyharley

OK, I am fairly new to boating. In June I purchased a 1978 pontoon 25footer. I have since tore it down to just the pontoons and cross members and rebuilt it back up with marine plywood, new carpet, new furniture and electronics. I have been working now on cleaning the oxidation off of the aluminum. I saw an advertisement about sacrificial anodes helping with keeping the oxidation to a minimum. My question is; how does this work? where do I mount it? does it work when the boat is on the trailer and stored for the winter? do they hook to the battery?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an 1976 evinrude 70HP outboard on it.
Thank you, Bill Knapp

OK, I am fairly new to boating. In June I purchased a 1978 pontoon 25footer. I have since tore it down to just the pontoons and cross members and rebuilt it back up with marine plywood, new carpet, new furniture and electronics. I have been working now on cleaning the oxidation off of the aluminum. I saw an advertisement about sacrificial anodes helping with keeping the oxidation to a minimum. My question is; how does this work? where do I mount it? does it work when the boat is on the trailer and stored for the winter? do they hook to the battery?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an 1976 evinrude 70HP outboard on it.
Thank you, Bill Knapp

Ayuh,.... Anodes protect against Electrolysis, not corrosion, 'n only in the water, not on the wagon...

Aluminum's natural corrosion film, protects the aluminum...
Donno why yer tryin' to take it all off...

Ayuh....i am not taking anything off...just bring back the shine. Maybe you should give it another thought...AYUH...electrolysis results in corrosion. AYUH...have a great day.
Ayuh,.... Anodes protect against Electrolysis, not corrosion, 'n only in the water, not on the wagon...

Aluminum's natural corrosion film, protects the aluminum...
Donno why yer tryin' to take it all off...

Basic - anodes are chunks of metal that absorb the effects of electrolysis to prevent marine metals from deteriorating from the electrolysis. There is a huge amount of information on the Internet describing anodes, types, how to use and how to install. Just do the searches. However, it looks like you are a freshwater sailor, who trailers their vessel, so with aluminum pontoons, you have little to worry about on the vessel itself. If you are using an outboard, it will have its own anodes. When they lose 40% of their weight, they should be changed.

thank you very much! I have read a couple of articles online about them. The only reason I am looking into this is because the toons have some pitting below the water level. was there when I purchased her. just hoping to slow down further damage. I do have a slip that I keep it tied up at during the summer months. My goal is only to take care of her to the best of my ability. I have put a lot of elbow grease, time, and money into her. again, thank you very much. have a great day, bill

thank you very much! I have read a couple of articles online about them. The only reason I am looking into this is because the toons have some pitting below the water level. was there when I purchased her. just hoping to slow down further damage. I do have a slip that I keep it tied up at during the summer months. My goal is only to take care of her to the best of my ability. I have put a lot of elbow grease, time, and money into her. again, thank you very much. have a great day, bill

Ayuh,.... That pitting is usually caused, when somebody tries to use the aluminum hull as the ground path, insteada runnin' dedicated ground wiring...

The hull needs to be bonded to the motor, but Not used as the ground path for electrical accessories...

Gotcha! Thank you! The boat was a mess when i bought it home. Shoulda done more research before going out
And laying down money. But i have had fun bringing her back to life. Was a good summer project. Wired
The correct way now. Have had alot of good times on her when she was able to go in the water
Looking forward to spring! Thanks again!

One last bit of info for you, These boats have a short life if not bonded properly. If you all ready have pitting below the water line you are pretty much going to leak water sooner than later. Saw an old man glass his pontoons that were pitted after it sunk. He is still running the boat. Hope this was helpful.

Thank You....that sounds like a great Idea. I have been nervous about all of the pitting and leaks. I have been looking at some pontoon epoxy from toon-brite. glassing them seems like a one time deal and your set. much less hassle.
thanks again, bill

Back