Logo

200hp 2003 Starting Issue

jj_lynn

I went fishing three or four weeks ago and when I went to start the motor it did this rapid clicking noise. I went and switch battery's and it then started. Okay maybe a weak battery. It started a few more times when I turned it off and re-started. So a couple of weeks ago I tried to start it and rapid clicks again. The battery's are reading 12.7 volts. So then I took out the starter and tested it and seem fine, but went ahead and replaced with a OEM starter just in case. Well I installed today and still the same thing. I am reading 12.4 volts coming from the ignition and 12.5. from the 150 fuse and power cable to starter.
Need help trouble shooting.
Joe

Likely a bad connection (often the ground) at the connection or in the wire. Remove battery connectors and clean posts and connectors thoroughly. Use baking sode mixed with water. Then do the same at the main starter posts and solenoid posts. Test resistence in main ground cable from battery to frame, and battery positive cable to starter. Resistence should be near zero. It is not unusual for them to corrode from the inside. If in doubt, replace the cables.

The rapid clicks indicated that your starter solenoid is probably good, but not always. There is a procedure in the shop manual for testing, but I'm on the road and do not have access.

Get back to us if the above cleaning and resistence tests don't fix the problem.

CHawk do you think it could be a bad PGM-FI Main Relay? When I went out to the boat the trim/tilt was acting up and does not work?
Thanks
Joe

The resistance of just a couple of strands of wire in the cable would probably be close to zero, but they could not carry the current to start the motor or for the trim and tilt to work.

Check the voltage at the starter as you are cranking. If it less than 10 - 101/2 volts, there is too much voltage drop in the cable. You just have to find in the cable or connections where it is.

Yes, it could also be the main relay, since the starter relay is in that module. That is easy enough to eliminate from the equation. There is a small white wire going to the starter. Pull it off, then jumper 12v from the big post on the starter to the small post. You do not need a big wire, but there may be a spark. Keep the key switch off, so the motor does not start.

If the motor cranks good, then it is not the main battery cable or the starter. Then it could be the main relay or associated wiring. If you get the fluttering, then the problem is in the battery, connections, cable or the starter.

Mike

Buddy was holding the probe on the wire lug instead of the post. Cleaned all the terminal connections. All is good now.
Thanks a lot CHawk and Mike you guys on this forum are great.
Thanks again
Joe

Back