Logo

2007 50 hp water pump replacement

KRAWDAD

I just joined the forum and would like to know what the consensus is on replacing the water pump on 2007 honda 50 hp. Should it be replaced every 2 years or by the hours run?
I'm mechanicly inclined is this a procedure I could due myself, considering the dealer wants 350.00 to due.

Not a complicated job at all.--------Perhaps visit U-tube and see if there is a tutorial on the job.---------Lots and lots of videos to help folks like you.-------$350.00 to change an impeller is outrageous.----------Not more than one hour for that job , unless it is a saltwater motor that has not had this job done recently.

Last edited:
The one thing that isn't covered in that tutorial or any service manual is that the impeller drive or "woodruff" key, as they call it, has a tendency to get caught and be pushed down when the impeller is installed. Many times it is necessary to hold the key in position against the mainshaft to keep it from doing this. I use the tip of a small, slot screwdriver to push the key up against the shaft as I lower the pump into place until the key has slipped into the key way in the impeller.

The use of a dab of grease is effective in holding the key against the shaft but not on a very hot day. Make sure to keep the shaft out of the sun before putting the grease and key on or the grease will just melt and make everything extra slippery.

Also, don't mess around with the less expensive impeller kit. Buy the whole kit. It is a few dollars more but well worth it. If your impeller cover and liner have been in there for two years or more, they need to be replaced. Although they might not look all that worn, they are and will immediately have a negative effect on the new impeller when it begins to rotate.

Never try and reuse a drive key either. They wear and will cause you problems if you reuse them. Throw the old one away.

Every two years is a good service interval for these pumps. They will go longer but why take the chance?

And, most of all, hold your tongue just so and........have fun!

the one thing that isn't covered in that tutorial or any service manual is that the impeller drive or "woodruff" key, as they call it, has a tendency to get caught and be pushed down when the impeller is installed. Many times it is necessary to hold the key in position against the mainshaft to keep it from doing this. I use the tip of a small, slot screwdriver to push the key up against the shaft as i lower the pump into place until the key has slipped into the key way in the impeller.

The use of a dab of grease is effective in holding the key against the shaft but not on a very hot day. Make sure to keep the shaft out of the sun before putting the grease and key on or the grease will just melt and make everything extra slippery.

Also, don't mess around with the less expensive impeller kit. Buy the whole kit. It is a few dollars more but well worth it. If your impeller cover and liner have been in there for two years or more, they need to be replaced. Although they might not look all that worn, they are and will immediately have a negative effect on the new impeller when it begins to rotate.

Never try and reuse a drive key either. They wear and will cause you problems if you reuse them. Throw the old one away.

Every two years is a good service interval for these pumps. They will go longer but why take the chance?

And, most of all, hold your tongue just so and........have fun!

thanks all for the great information awesome forum.

It is easier to install the impeller on the shaft and then to lower the housing down while rotating the driveshaft in the normal direction of engine rotation.

Not for me it ain't. On these Hondas I have much better luck putting the impeller in the housing and sliding it down the shaft with the keyway lined up. I like your way on my Mercury but on the Hondas I've been pretty frustrated doing it that way. Just a matter of preference and what you get used to I guess.

Back