Logo

Honda 225 high temp

Colorado Dan

New Honda 225 with nema 2000 capability. Using Garmin gs10 gauge. Temp goes up to 220 degrees on gauge when cruising. But no warnings or buzzers from honda control components. So I took a temp gun out on a cruise and shot spots both on the water jacket and heads while cruising. All temps were acceptable and in range except for the reading at the very top of the water jackets (which is also where the water temp sensors are installed). Sure enough, those high reading match my garmin gauge. But that is the only place on entire engine where I receive a high reading. Could there be an air lock? And how would I clear it? Or is it something else? I have also noticed that my water pressure (as shown on Garmin gs10 gauge) reaches about 12-14 psi when cruising (4200rpm). Can't find the spec on water pressure range anywhere. Please help. Dan

Last edited:
New Honda 225 with nema 2000 capability. Using Garmin gs10 gauge. Temp goes up to 220 degrees on gauge when cruising. But no warnings or buzzers from honda control components. So I took a temp gun out on a cruise and shot spots both on the water jacket and heads while cruising. All temps were acceptable and in range except for the reading at the very top of the water jackets (which is also where the water temp sensors are installed). Sure enough, those high reading match my garmin gauge. But that is the only place on entire engine where I receive a high reading. Could there be an air lock? And how would I clear it? Or is it something else? I have also noticed that my water pressure (as shown on Garmin gs10 gauge) reaches about 12-14 psi when cruising (4200rpm). Can't find the spec on water pressure range anywhere. Please help. Dan
Honda motors collect data from 3 points. Which are refered to as ECT, 1, 2, 3, # 1 is block temp and the hotest, sensor located behind intake, sensor 2 and 3 are located on top of exhaust manifolds. Sensor should show about 130* under normal operating condition's. Anything above 11 psi @ WOT is good for water pressure. Thanks martin
icon14.png
icon14.png

Hi jj_lynn,
the only hot temp readings I get are right below where part # 13 is installed. I think #13 is some type of sensor. Then we took 15 or 20 more shots with the gun all up and down the water jacket down to #2. Plus we took lots of temps up and down the heads. All temps are acceptable except the hot ones near #13. Plus no beepers, buzzers or engine back down when running at speed (4000 to 4400 rpms). Thanks, Colorado Dan

Dan you might want to remove that temp sensor#13 and try to flush from that point with salt away and see if that helps. It might just have some blockage in that area.

Dan - Just what readings are you getting at the top of the water jacket compared to the middle and bottom? Martin knows a heck of a lot more than I do about these engines. But just a thought - isn't it possible that this is a natural temperature variation due to the water at the top coming straight from the block. If you temporarily removed the t-stats and tested again after warm up, the temperatures should drop across the board by approximately the same percentage. If that's the case, then it's not likely a blockage problem, and I would consider writing it off is just the way it was designed.

Hawk, I am getting 215-225 degrees at top of water jacket (which is the temp that my Garmin Gs10 gauge is giving me). That is a temp while running 4200 rpm and approx 30 mph. the rest of the temps on both water jacket and heads are 140-155. Dan I have removed thermostats (good shape and operating correctly) and have flushed with salt away. Is it possible to have an air lock on the top of the water jackets?

Okay, top sounds high, and water jackets at 155 or so matches the 160 I get from my externally mounted sensors on the maifolds.

Is it possible to have an air lock? I guess it's possible, but I don't see how.

I would try calling tech support in Atlanta - 770-497-6400. Although I have never used it, I understand that you can contact Honda Marine Tech’s on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HondaMarine

Hawk, I am getting 215-225 degrees at top of water jacket (which is the temp that my Garmin Gs10 gauge is giving me). That is a temp while running 4200 rpm and approx 30 mph. the rest of the temps on both water jacket and heads are 140-155. Dan I have removed thermostats (good shape and operating correctly) and have flushed with salt away. Is it possible to have an air lock on the top of the water jackets?

Dan, did you find any issues with your high temp? I have a new BF250 with temp readings between 175-195 degrees. I don't know if it's normal?

As another data point for you.
twin bf250s, 250 hours.
4300-4800 rpm, 25-30 mph
200-210 F on honda gauges and simrad mfd.
never hotter, even at 5200 rpm.

Back