Logo

Honda 90hp question

Tornado Motion

So I have a 90hp Honda fuel injected. It has a problem starting after it over heats. see we got sea weed around the water intake and it overheated so we cleared it off but then when we put it back into the water it would not start it would just keep cranking over. so we pulled the motor out to start it and it started and put it back in the water and it still ran. Now if i ran the engine and shut it off normally it would start no problem. what do u think the problem is??? also if i picked it out of the water drained the water and put it back in it would not start. the water pump has maybe 5 hours on it its only 2 months old. any thoughts?

What problem? You say you got it to run and now it starts and runs and shuts down and starts normally. If you are asking why it didn't start immediately after it overheated, that could be an exercise in speculation that could include;

It may have vapor locked due to the heat and needed some cranking to clear the air from the fuel system.

The computer may have seen some sensors out of parameters on the first attempt. The cylinder head temp sensor and inlet air temp sensor may not have agreed properly to set fuel strategy for easy starting.

And, the list could go on but those are my two favorites. What's important is that it seems that it starts and runs normally now so you may have gotten away with little to no damage due to the mishap.

Should i still not worry about it if it keeps happening when it over heats? It starts fine when shut off properly but not when it is over heated. Also i have never had to raise it out of the water until recently. also this boat is a work boat so it has been abused but right now its not in daily use.

Is it overheating repeatedly? I thought you said you got seaweed wrapped around the water intakes and cleaned it off.

Of course, if it is continuing to overheat, you should not use the engine until you find and repair the cause. I would suspect the water pump if it had more hours on it. But, it could have a stuck thermostat or, since it sounds like you operate in some debris filled water, you may have a blockage that needs to be cleaned out.

You should NEVER allow the engine to get so hot that it "shuts itself down" if you can help it. If you can't keep the seaweed from wrapping around the water intakes, then you are going to have to find or make some sort of "guard" to protect them. If not, I'm afraid you're headed for a major calamity.

I agree with jgmo...

FYI, there are two thermstats in that engine. One for the block and one for the head.

The one for the block is hidden behind the ecm housing.

It is a different thermostat than the one for the head.

Mike

Mike

Back