Logo

how do i test gas guage

chuckee53

Can someone help me on how to test gas guage or possibly sending unit there is power to guage and sending wire is hooked up properly . I put testor across sending wire and hot wire and it read 8 volts ,would that mean I have 3/4 full tank and a possible bad guage .What do you think guys ,thanks in advance

You should have battery voltage at the sending unit if you short that wire to ground the guage should read full. The sending unit provides ground to the guage, if the guage reads full the sending unit or ground to it is bad. If you dont have battery voltage to the sending unit with the key on it is either the guage or a bad wire or connector. Pull the hot wire off the sending unit and check for voltage between the wire and sending unit ground.

My guage reads full at all times when the key is on. Does this mean that the guage is bad or the sending unit is bad?

Crabclaw

My guage reads full at all times when the key is on. Does this mean that the guage is bad or the sending unit is bad?

Crabclaw

No - When the switch is off the guage reads empty. Just when the ignition is on then it reads full at all times. For example, I ran the boat 3 times for a considerable distance and it still showed full but I put 30 gallons of gas in my tank. I just do not wish to buy both the gauge and the sending unit and have find one of the 2 good.

Crabclaw

fuel gauges on boats are notoriously inaccurate...depends upon the particulars with your hull...do like kimcrwbr1 suggests - and I'll add is the guage is still full with the sending wire removed (key ON) then it is the gauge.

Back