Logo

honda 60 tachometer dead

maro

Hy guys,

My honda tachometer is not working anymore, probably because of moisture, but i don't see any damage or corrosion.

So, is there any chance to be fixed? How can it be opened without brokeing the plastic?

Thnx

Mario

Attachments

• DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00125.jpg
    DSC00125.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 83
I'm no expert but it sure looks like there are some small, phillips head, screws recessed in the back of that housing. If they were removed along with all the terminal nuts and mount bracket nuts, I think you might get the face and circuit board to come out of the housing and have a look.

As to how to repair it, that's above my pay grade. But if you get the back off, you could look for cracked solder traces on the board or leaking capacitors or maybe even a hidden fuse.

Good luck.

Have you checked to see if your engine is charging the battery properly? A dead tach is often the sign of a bad stator or similar charging problem.

If you have measured +12 and ground at your gauge, then your gauge is probably bad. It does not matter if you are getting a signal or not. You all probably think I am crazy....but

Looking at your picture of the tach, it shows the needle at around 800 or so rpm. This indicates to me, when it last worked, the engine was idling and being turned off. If you put power to the meter (turned the switch on) and the gauge was good, the needle would drop to zero, signal or no signal. In other words, when you turn the motor off, the tach needle will stay whereever it was when the motor was turned off. When you go to start the engine, the tach zero's out and when you start the motor, the tach needle moves to the appropriate place on the dial.

So....double check to see if you were actually getting +12v and ground at the gauge when you turn the key to on.

Mike

Back