Logo

Help Identifying jet size

Fisher15

Trying to find out if the jets on my 2002 BF50A are high altitude, or if they are stock. Bought used from someone who used the motor in high altitude, but not sure if the high altitude was all the time. Can't find the Guy's phone # to ask him. I have the top carb off; to clean,the number on the center jet is marked 42G the jet on the side has no numbers. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if the jet marked 42G is stock or a leaner jet.

And, if you want to go even richer, you could pick up some 132s or 135s.

Items 23 in link.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2004/BF50A4 LRTA /CARBURETOR/parts.html

This link is from a 2004 MY parts list but the cam and the intake valves are the same. So, Honda apparently saw a need to increase the fuel going to this engine.

Be advised that these larger jets are used in conjunction with a 45 jet set, not a 42. But, the nozzle is the same. So, all of this stuff can be mixed and matched.

I tell you this not as a recommendation but, if you are a tinkerer, like me, you may want some options to try and "fatten her up". I would be concerned if you were trying to go leaner. That could be problematic. But going richer shouldn't hurt anything if it's a bit off and doesn't pan out. Just don't leave it that way or you'll coke up the engine in short order.

Good luck.

Thanks guy's for your replys. Ckecked the jet out with a magnifying glass, it's a 130. I just wanted to make sure i was runnig the right jet. Now i just hope i got the carb. cleaned good.

Back