Logo

BF130 giving multiple error codes on MIL...but runs

gkworth

I have a question for you Honda guys on a BF130. It's a 2003. The check engine (MIL) light is on. I shorted the 2 pin service connector and read the codes. It gives multiple codes. It does 3, 6, and 14. #3 is a MAP sensor problem, #6 is an ECT sensor problem, and #14 is an IAC valve problem. I reset the ECM and it gives the same codes. This shows as 3 separate intake related sensor problems. Doesn't make sense. Is there anything you know of that can cause all of these at once? Any kind of clogged vacuum filter, etc, so forth? Maybe the IAC valve is causing the others? It runs fairly normal. Takes a while for idle to stabilize when you start it, runs okay at speed, and seems to use more fuel than the other engine on this boat. Thanks for any info.

In general, the code that appears first may be the driver for some or all of the other codes. Also, if you have not already done so, check the connections of those sensors to assure they are clean and making good contact.

There may be something, but I do not know what would drive codes for all three of those sensors. All three have something to do with idle and fuel economy.

It sounds like you have another 130 on the boat. That is good. That way you can "borrow" parts to try.

Remove the map and make sure that there is no debris in the map or in the hole into the intake.

Same for the IAC. Remove it and clean any of the carbon off of the screen on the IAC. While you are cleaning, remove the intake muffler (black plastic air intake attached to the throttle body. Clean the throttle body opening, etc of any carbon build up.

Do those things and see if anything improves.

You do have one other item. The ECT. Pull it out and make sure its holes is clear of salt deposits etc. Also, make sure the sensor itself is not all caked up with salt or debris.

If none of that helps, then switch them out one by one starting with the Map. The good news is...I think the map will unscrew...the bad news...you can not buy just the map for this motor. It is part of the throttle body.

If switching out the components does not stop the alarm, switch out the ECM. A faulty ECM can do weird things.

Mike

Thanks for all the insight Mike. I will try to get on the boat this weekend and try the things you suggested and post back here the results.
George

Hey Mike. I went down, started the motor, and the the errors were not happening any longer. Maybe because the air temp outside was cold? Warmed up engine. Still not doing it. I did all the items you mentioned anyway, except the ECT. I didn't have enough time to find it on the motor. Maybe this weekend. Flushed engine with SaltAway for the heck of it. In any case, I cleaned the MAP with CRC throttle body cleaner, and cleaned the screen on the IAC. It was 50% closed off with carbon deposits. Going fishing this weekend, so I'll see what happens. I hope there is not a thermal problem with the ECM which causes all the errors to pop up, fictitiously, when operating in hot weather only. Thanks. TTYL
George

Okay. I swapped the ECM with the one from the stbd engine. Still same errors. Cleaned throttle body. Reset ECM. Now getting only error 6. Gotta still take out the ECT, inspect it, and measure resistance. Should be about 4 to 5k ohms at room temp. I guess this is progress...sort of.
George

Sounds like good progress! You have eliminated two codes and also the possibility that the ECM is bad.

The ECT is located on the starboard side of the engine directly above the vapor separator vent filter near the top of the motor.

Mike

Hey Mike. The ECT replacement did fix the problem. What a pain to get to. The cam belt cover screws were rusted, so they just spun around and ate up plastic threads. Never did get it off. I was able to get under the cover with a 19mm socket and universal. I did have to shave the plastic of the sensor's connect down a bit so the socket had enough bite to tighten it. The socket wasn't quite deep enough. Connector still seals fine. Now, I have a lift, on one of the motors, leaking ATF from somewhere OTHER than the seals around the ss rods! Slow leak. Great. Thanks for your help. TTYL
George

Back