Logo

Diesel air leak

G

GLowell

" I have a Volvo MD1 that runs

" I have a Volvo MD1 that runs fine. After it sits for 6-8 hours, I have to bleed the fuel line before it'll start again. I have checked and re-checked the fittings, replaced washers and tightened as much as I dare. Any ideas on how to track down and stop this slight but annoying leak? "

" To Glowell,
Hi, i want u to

" To Glowell,
Hi, i want u to check the line as the following:
1- check the fuel feeding valve on the fuel thank
by disconnecting the outlet pipe from the valve and then open the valve and see the quantity of fuel and if there is little fuel or a dirt coming out from the tank so u must clean the tank .
2- if the valve is ok so connect the pipe well and replace the gasket then disconnect the inlet pipe from fuel transfer pump (which has the hand priming pump) then open the tank valve again mabe the pipe line is collogged .
3- if the pipe line is clean and the fuel comes good connect the pipe line after replacing the gaskets.then disconnect the discharge pipe line from the transfer pumpand open the tank valve and prim the pump using the hand priming pump and see the discharge hole on the pump if there is no fuel so ur transfer pump is not good .
4- if its ok and the fuel comes every time u press the hand pump connect the line after replacing the gaskets.
5-open the vale again and disconnect the fuel filter outlet line and prime using the hand priming pump and see if the fuel comes good (it will take couple minuits to see the fuel comes out) and if not replace the fuel filter .
6- connect the line and replace the gaskets.
7- replace the gaskets of injection pump inlet line .
8- u will find a small screw on the injection pump top unscrew it while u priming using the hand priming pump untill the air comes out completely and screw it tightely (don t stop priming until screwing it ).

Good Luck

Kiralla "

" Kiralla, Thanks for the info

" Kiralla, Thanks for the info. However my MD1 has a gravity fed tank and no transfer pump. I did install a Racor between the tank (freshly cleaned with new hoses) and the primary filter. I have replaced all of the gaskets and copper washers and still get the leak. I do not see any fuel leaking at any time. Do you know of any way to test for such a small air leak? Thanks "

" To Glowell,
Hi, the fuel tr

" To Glowell,
Hi, the fuel transfer pump i mentioned is a part of any diesel engine u ll find it near the injection pump (the injection pump is the one which has a pipe lines go to the injectors )
the transfer pump transfer the fuel through the line to the engine fuel filter then to the injection pump.this transfer pump has a small piston on top of it its called hand priming pump
when u need to bleed air from the line u must this hand priming pump by unscrewing its knob and moving it up and down untill u feel it hard to goes down then u screw the knob again, when doing this job u must notice ur pipe line maybe u ll find some air bubbles come from any connection that means u found the leak .

Good luck and keep in touch

Kiralla "

" Kiralla, Thanks again. I dou

" Kiralla, Thanks again. I double checked, my circa 1970 MD1 does not have a fuel transfer pump. It is gravity fed all the way through the fuel filter to the injector pump. Really, it is. The MD1B has a transfer pump but not mine.

I have not problem bleeding the system. It runs fine after I bleed it. However I shouldn't have to bleed it everytime I want to start it, should I? I have re-seated every gasket and connection and still can't find it. What would happen if I used some type of pipe sealent or gasket maker on all of the fittings? would it gum up my injector if some got in the line? Do you know of any method for detecting a leak this small? I do not see any fuel leaking from anywhere. Thanks again "

" To GLowell ,
Hi again,nice

" To GLowell ,
Hi again,nice to talk to u again,
well, i want u to replace the fuel filter rubber gasket,if the engine still the same condition so u can change the fuel filter ,

good luck

Kiralla

by the way tell me how many cylinders of ur engine
and did u use red copper gaskets in ur line
i dont prefer using any sealant or gasket maker in fuel lines , and tell me how do u bleed ur fuel line. bye "

Glowell
It is now Jan.03 but

Glowell
It is now Jan.03 but your problem is the RACOR FILTER disconnect the line from your fuel tank and connect a fuel pump to the linefuel wiilcome from the PRIMER pump on the top of the filter.Solve the problem throw away the RACOR filter

Glowell
It is now Jan.03 but

Glowell
It is now Jan.03 but your problem is the RACOR FILTER disconnect the line from your fuel tank and connect a fuel pump to the line. fuel will come from the PRIMER pump on the top of the filter.Solve the problem throw away the RACOR filter.

"<font color=""000000""><font

"<font color=""000000""><font face=""arial,helvetica""></font>I have a new boat, which has a Volvo 2002 Diesel in it. Although we got it running this weekend and it goes into gear just fine, it consistently shuts off after 30 minutes to an hour of running. I also noticed that it does not like to run below 1200 rpm. Just before it shuts off it really begins to vibrate and shake and then putters out.

Originally I thought it was a dirty gas tank, as the boat has been out of use for two years, but we have changed the fuel filter twice in the last week and the problem has not changed at all.

Therefore I think that it could be air in the lines now? from these symptoms, do you think it could be an air leak or another issue?

thank you.
Taylor
[email protected]</font>}"

Back