Logo

1999 tiller steer BF50A Head/powerhead removal

tedm2

Contributing Member
Found a supposedly winterized engine locked up and water in the oil. I have removed the oil reservoir and see that the valves, cam and springs are covered in rust.

I was attempting to start repairs by pulling the head but I am having a couple of probelms. There are 3 hex bolts under the cam that I guess have to be removed. The oil pump housing appears to be driven by the cam and it bolts into the bottom cam bearing housing from below making it necessary to pull the entire powerhead to remove that one oil pump bolt. Is that really the only way to get that 1 bolt out to be able to remove the head?

I assume I will end up having to pull the powerhead anyway and would like to know if I have the procedure wrong. It seems to be a bit much to have to disassemble the entire engine to pull just the top end

Disconnect trim and power cables
disconnect shift at lower unit
remove lower unit to lighten the load on the intermediate section
remove plastic trim from intermediate housing
prop up /secure the intermediate section since when the two nuts are removed at the pivot connecting the top end, there will be nothing holding the intermediate section in place except at the bottom of the pivot. I guess the entire motor could be removed at this time from the stern bracket & trim by removing the two lower bolts from the rubber mounts
remove 10 bolts under the so called engine lower case (bottom of the cowl housing)
support/lift powerhead
remove 2 nuts attaching the top section to the swivel bracket
I then have to assume I will see the bolts holding the powerhead to the primary gear case that when removed will allow the powerhead to seperate from the gear case and lower cowl housing

There are too many steps to go through for the power head removal. I suggest you purchase a Honda shop manual from Helm if you are going to go as deep as I think you are. helminc.com to get the official manual.

Your steps are a little confusing, but when you get the intermediate case off, you will still have to remove the exhaust tube, oil pan and water tube.
Then you will have access to all of the powerhead bolts.

I will paraphrase the manual to remove the head. You should be able to remove without removing powerhead.

- Remove engine cover and flywheel cover.
- Remove the cam pulley and pulser coil
- Disconnect the breather tube from the silencer cover and the fuel tubes from the fuel pump.
- REmove the choke knob rod, throttle rod pivot and the carburetor assembly.
- Remove three 8 x 40 flange bolts and eight 10 x 85 flange bolts with washer.
- Remove the cylinder head.

Need to remove bolts number 3 and 23. There are 8 of number 3 and 3 of number 23.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2002/BF50A2%20LHTA%20/CYLINDER%20HEAD/parts.html

Mike

I had gotten that far but was unable to pull the head off. I saw 3 bolts under the cam shaft and assumed that they also had to be removed. When I tried to remove the cam, I was unable to pull off the lower end as the mounting bracket seemed to be attached to the oil pump
thus my question as needing to remove the powerhead.
Your reply now brings up the question as to how hard should it be to pull the head off if all of the bolts are removed? I haven't been able to budge it.

If you have the 11 bolts out that I pointed out previously, the head should come off.

There are some locating pins/dowels that might be rusted or corroded and still keeping it together. Generally, a few thumps of the hand should do it. You may also try a dead blow...just do not go too crazy.

Mike

Back