Logo

Honda BF 100 impeller change......need help!

rvasak

Greetings Folks,

I've got a nice early '80s BF 100 that had been sitting for a while. Everything works well, pumps water, etc., but I figured I should change the impeller since it had been sitting for about 10 years ;) I've got the manual, so disassembly was fairly straight forward EXCEPT.....I'm not able to get the drive shaft off of the pinion shaft, therefore, I cannot get the impeller housing off. My assumption is that the two shafts should "slip" apart. Is there something that holds them together? I've tried putting the pinion shaft in a "soft" vise and tapping the drive shaft off, but to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, sad to say, you're stuck! Literally. The vertical shaft is square at the bottom and simply slides down over the square pinion shaft to drive the water pump and transmission. If all was well, the vertical shaft would just lift off of the pinion. But, you are dealing with OLD and OLD can be tough (tuff?)

Get yourself some PB-BLASTER from the auto parts or hardware store and then try and prop the whole affair upside down and spray the crap out of that interface. Heat helps the oil "creep" into the joint but not TOO much heat! Sometimes just setting the thing out in the sun after spraying lets the Blaster to work it's magic. I like to use a heat gun to get it to work in to a stubborn connection like this.

It is in a bad spot for prying and there is no good place on the shaft to strike a blow away from the pinion so you will probably need to be very patient with it and keep spraying it and hitting it with the wife's hair dryer to get it to let go. Just know that it will eventually. If you get in a hurry and start "tweaking" on it, you will probably have more problems so take your time. PB-BLASTER IS AWESOME! But it can't do what it does instantly.

Good luck.

Back