Logo

NEW BF20 - First service - How to?

nzbay

Hello.

I bought a new BF 20 Honda 2011 model. It is/was new in the box.

It took me longer than expected to build/modify my dory for the motor. In the interim the company or shop that sold me the new motor has gone under.

When I bought it the guy said it will need to come back when you have it mounted up etc so we can oil it and give it its first service. I am thinking he meant put oil in the engine and gear oil.

Short of go to another Honda shop which is some distance away, how hard is this first service for a brand new motor?

What is involved?

I am used to serving my own ATV vehicle and chainsaws so surely I can manage this. Right?

You can download a free Owners Manual from http://marine.honda.com/owners.

It's all there. After recommended break in period, be sure to change the engine oil and lower unit oil. Don't be surprised to find metal flakes in the lower unit oil - about the size of baking soda. That's normal for breakin. In your manual there will be a maintenance schedule. Follow it religiously.

Yep, simple as that. Check the oil, check the trans and GO! You have the BEST little outboard EVER MADE! Congratulations!

Do as the others have said and you will be fine. When you are going to put the boat up for any time MORE THAN A FEW DAYS, drain the carburetor. DRAIN IT DRY not just run the engine out of gas.

IF you do not heed my words, you will get a visit from the Honda carb HEEbY JEEbY man. These little carbs need to be drained or they will give you trouble. Other than that, I have seen this engine, many of them, take more abuse than 10 of any other outboard made and still purr like a little kitty cat.

Thanks. Simple as that aye, oil engine an trans and go.

Looks like 1.3L of 10/30 and 285cc for the gear case oil. Cool.

I will look in the manual on how to drain the carb. Good advice, thanks.

Last edited:
Back