Logo

BF75 coil question

JackB1

Last year I had to have a coil replaced on one of the cylinders on my 96 BF75. The motor has been running fine since but to help me avoid paranoia while runniong around on the bay here is my question. Just because one coil went bad is there any reason to worry about another crapping out or is it more an anomoly?

The coils are pretty hardy. But, anything can fail at anytime. To avoid paranoia, you can alway buy a spare coil. There are only two ignition coils on the motor...each handle two cylinders. They have not changed them since the 75 was first introduced...so that should say something for their reliability.

I am sure that any of the guys on the forum that have boats and venture out pretty far from shore, typically have many different spare items that can help them get back...to and including a kicker motor of some sort.

Mike

That's a tough question. My first instinct is to say don't worry about it. But, if one failed, then the other could.

Or, the new one might not outlast the older one.

One thing to consider is how and where they are mounted. Heat is a killer for coils and if one is mounted in a more vulnerable location, that might explain a failure.

Given endless amounts of "long green", I would carry a spare along with some other select, expensive parts. You could go broke and overload the boat thinking that way though.

So, in the final analysis (if you can even call this that!) I stick with my first take and say don't worry about it.

Back