Logo

Adding Seafoam to a honda BF75A - where?!

Cretster

Contributing Member
Just received my grossly overpriced can of seafoam today (£22, or about $35), so I'm keen to try it out.
I gather it's meant to get fed into the carbs with the engine warm and running, via a vacuum line, then turn off engine - leave for some time, then start the engine and put your gas mask on!

Question is, on this engine, where can I feed the stuff into the carbs? Is there a vac line I can pour it into that will distribute it across all 4 carbs, or an alternative that will achieve the same thing?

Many thanks!

Man, I need to sell you some at that price. Advance auto has it for $7.99 per 16oz can. I just dump it into the fuel tank. Have never seen a unit overdosed. I also mix in Yamaha ring free with the sea foam however you can overdose with ring free. Thanks Martin

I don't have a choice about the price if I want some. I'm in the UK, more specifically, the Isle of Man, and no-one sells it here so my only option really is mail order/ebay - the cheapest I could get a can delivered here was what I paid.
I don't like it one bit but I wanted to try it.

And I'm not expecting any sort of miracles from it, but from all I've read, I think it'll be a useful 'tonic' to run through.

I know you can just mix it in with the fuel like that, but I want to decarb by feeding it into the carbs through vac supply (assuming there is one on this engine), as per this procedure:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

Different objective/result to mixing it in the fuel I believe.

If you want to feed it to each cylinder, you can remove screws #32 (there is one for each cylinder) in the intake manifold. You will have to devise some way to spritz it in. These are the ports used to vacuum balance the carburetors. The motor will run like crap as you have the hole open, but then put your finger over the hole when not feeding the solution in.

You can also use Evinrude Engine tune and spray it in. Sea foam usually works quicker.

Mcyama suggested putting it in the fuel....that will help clean out the passages of the carburetors as you decarbonize....and it is a lot easier to do. Dump it in and go run the boat.

Mike

One can of Sea Foam ain't gonna get you much in the way of happiness. It is GREAT stuff but is most effective when used as a fuel additive. And, at $35 American, it's just not worth it.

One of the best de-carbonizers in the world is H2O. Yes, good ol', plain water! Put some in a spray bottle and spritz it into the intake in a mist while holding the throttle at around 2500. Automotive engineers are still developing water injection systems for engines. Lots of good reading on the net on this subject.

Another product that has been used since the beginning of man's mechanization is BERRYMAN'S B-12 CHEMTOOL. See if you can get you some of that locally and use it to spray in the intake. Do this in a well ventilated area 'cause you will disappear in the smoke.

I believe I've already mentioned Lucas products as another alternative to Sea Foam. I'm curious, don't they sell that in the UK?

Thanks for the replies.

It might not do a great deal with just the one can but I thought as a 'tonic' it might be useful stuff to use since I don't know the history of this engine really, and initially the idle was a bit erratic.

I've already replaced the fuel line on the boat, and after probably an hour or so at least of running the engine in a barrel of water it seems pretty good.
I've got this stuff though anyway so I may as well use it and increase the odds of happy carbs etc when I get out for a test run in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Not sure now whether to use it in the fuel or the carbs directly. It's more the general carb health than the carbon reduction as such that I'd like to help out.

Not sure about the Lucas product yet as I've not managed to get round the sort of places that would be likely (un) to have it, sorry.

What if you bought several cans of seafoam at once, would that bring the price down? Maybe split a case with someone. Its good to have a couple cans handy, if you pour into your gas tank make a strong mix at first.
jgmo, funny you mention water, i used to do that when I had a crusader, slow drip into the carb til it starts to stall out then back off. Got that trick from my dads old mechanic, he said in a car with straight pipes back in the day, you could see bits of carbon come out the exhaust.

Interesting idea but not practical really. The postage from the stuff on ebay is only about £3-4, but the cans themselves £18. It's crackers, but I guess they know it's not easy to get here and want to sting people as hard as they can.
On principle, I wouldn't want to pay them any more than I already have, but aside from that, without actually witnessing some genuinely beneficial results I'd be loathe to part with any more money.

I forgot to mention re' water use that I used to run an aquamist water injection kit on one of my cars to help prevent knock at high boost/ignition levels etc. It's very under-rated as a performance and engine safety feature. Most people I talked to about it at the time just didn't "get it", or thought it was a stupid idea.:rolleyes:

Back