Logo

Honda 225 intermittent power loss

bigfoot3

Contributing Member
Hi
Strange problem 2006 honda 225 outboards works perfect most of the time. About 2 weeks ago, I was cruising at about 4,000 rpms and the port engine lost about 1/2 power, started shaking and the check engine light went on. I shut it down immediately and checked to make sure nothing was wrapped around the lower unit and started it up again, and it worked perfectly. I took it out a few more times with no problem, then it happened again a few times. Maybe once every 3 hours of engine use at first, but yesterday it happened a few times.. always above 2,000 rpms. I can go slow for long periods with no problem.
I changed the racor gas/ water separator (the gas was perfectly clean - no water).
Any ideas?
I had the O2 sensor changed twice on this engine - last time was in April and it had the exhaust modification done. This doesn't feel like the o2 sensor - when I had problems with that the engine didn't lose power or virbrate

Al
2006 Worldcat 27TE with twin 225 hondas

It could be lots of things. Do you know how to pull the fault codes off the EPROM by shunting the service check connector? That is where I would start. If not, let us know. It has been posted several times on this forum.

When is the last time you drained the VST?

When is the last time you changed out the high pressure fuel filter?

It could be lots of things. Do you know how to pull the fault codes off the EPROM by shunting the service check connector? That is where I would start. If not, let us know. It has been posted several times on this forum.

When is the last time you drained the VST?

When is the last time you changed out the high pressure fuel filter?

I found the old posts on how to read the codes. I will give it a try and let you know. I can't get to the boat for a few days.

I had the honda dealer service the engine while it was under warranty - he did everything recommended.. (and then some) then the warranty expired a few months ago and I am looking for a new mechanic. I had a lot of problems with the honda dealer. I was charged for changing the high pressure fuel filter about a year ago - but not sure if they actually did it. How often does it need to be replaced? And why would it be intermittent? Would a clogged filter let it run perfect for hours then intermittently cause problems?

I don't think the VST was drained.

thanks. Will reply when I get the codes.

Yes - a partially clogged VST will let you engine some, and then cause problems. The VST is in place to assure an adequate amountof non-turbulent fuel is available to the high pressure fuel pump. (The fuel inthe VST tank is kept under pressure to prevent vaporization, thus preventingthe fuel from becoming too lean under variable demand.) On the back starboardside of your motor, you will see a plastic tube looped around a holder. Unhookit, and look down at the base where it connects. Beside the connection is asmall set screw. Use a 10" long flat blade screwdriver to open the set screw -slowly. With the end of the hose extended downward into a clear container thatwill hold at least a quart of liquid, start opening the set screw. Do not opentoo far - if it comes out, you will need to remove the lower cowling toretrieve it. Anywhere from two to three pints of gas, and maybe some water andgunk will come out of that tube. Be patient, the last stuff to come out isusually slow, but drain out as much as you can. If there is water, or any gunk,then your fuel-water separator and low pressure fuel filter have failed andneed to be replaced. At that point, you should also change out the highpressure filter which sits on top of the fuel pump and is held in place withthree 5 mm screws. If you are still having problems, then it may be necessaryto remove the VST and clean the screen on the outflow tube. If nothing comes out of the tube, it is clogged. Blow compressed air into it and see if that opens it up.

It appears to be fixed.. I took it to a mechanic.. he didn't have a honda computer to check the codes but changed all of the filters on the engine and found that the fuel line from the racor to the engine was loose and worn out. He replaced it.
I ran it for about 4 hours since then without a problem.

I had simlar problem awhile back , if you look at my previous posts you will find pics and comments... It was low and high pressure filters that caused problem, low pressure filter had never been changed my bad filter was way do...

Back