Logo

Help With Rigging Battery Connection On 1998 Honda BF 90

Kingquack

I purchased a used 1998 Honda BF 90 a few weeks ago.* The motor did not have the battery connections attached or cables included when it arrived.* I've got the control box all hooked up, but the battery connection still needs to be rigged.** I feel silly asking this question, but I don't see any obvious place where the battery cables attach to this motor. I figured the negative cable attaches to the top of the starter, but I'm clueless as to where the positive wire connects.* I have searched the net for a schematic or a pic for wiring this motor but haven't had any luck.* Can someone help me out on how to hook this motor up to the battery.*

Here is a pic of the motor

If you don't have an owner's manual, download one here for free: http://m.marine.honda.com/owners/manuals

Then you'll have the wiring diagram.

I interpret the diagram as having the POSITIVE battery cable going to the stud at the top of the starter solenoid. The large cable already attached at that stud has a white terminal identifier on it and I would verify that it is leading to the MAIN power fuse holder and then to the starter relay before making that connection. What concerns me is that the diagram indicates that there should be smaller gauge, white feeder wires going to the main fuse and tilt relay. Not a #4 gauge cable as in the pic. But, that could be a re-fit of some sort or the diagram just doesn't accurately depict the junction point. You just need to be very cautious that that is the way it is meant to be connected before hooking it all up. If that "white box" with the "T" is the main fuse (30A) and that cable is hooked up to it then my question has been answered.

It's not completely clear from the diagram or your photo where exactly the NEGATIVE cable could be attached. The diagram indicates at the starter but the only place I see in your photo is the mounting flange bolt. The cable already in place is obscuring precisely what that area looks like but I suspect it would be a suitable place to attach the NEGATIVE cable if the flange bolt is long enough to accommodate the eyelet on your cable.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
If that "white box" with the "T" is the main fuse (30A) and that cable is hooked up to it then my question has been answered.

It's not completely clear from the diagram or your photo where exactly the NEGATIVE cable could be attached. The diagram indicates at the starter but the only place I see in your photo is the mounting flange bolt. The cable already in place is obscuring precisely what that area looks like but I suspect it would be a suitable place to attach the NEGATIVE cable if the flange bolt is long enough to accommodate the eyelet on your cable.

Yep....That white box is the 30A fuse. So your saying I would be good hooking the negative up to the flange bolt on the bottom of the starter? Or are you talking a different flange? Thanks for the help.

Well, the other part of the question was "is that cable from the starter hooked up to it"...the white "box"? I'm trying to be overly cautious here so as not to encourage you to make a connection we would both regret. But, if that is the case, the cable does feed the fuse holder, then we are good. I just can't be sure from the photo.

As far as the ground cable, yes, I think the starter mount flange is totally appropriate and, here again, I can't tell from the photo but it almost looks as if there is a sort of "landing" on the flange right next to the bolt head that would be there as part of, possibly, a strain relief for that cable end.

It makes sense, electrically, that the highest load (starter) in the engine compartment would have the cables directly attached. So, I think you are fine doing it that way. Just make sure you clean that flange up before making the connection. It looks as if it is painted there and that could be from someone trying to make things look good under the hood but won't provide a good contact.

The ground wire gets connected to the smaller flange bolt next to the outside starter bolt. It is mostly obscured by the power wire in the picture.

Mike

Back