Logo

2006 Honda BF90 starting problem please help.

RickFOB

Purchased a pontoon with above engine.* I have no problem starting the first time.* But after running to my favorite fishing hole and fishing it for a little while, I sometimes have a really hard time starting the engine.** I have maybe two good tries to start her.* If I can get her started with the first two tries, she runs fine.* But it it doesnt start the first two tries, the engine would crank but would not turn over.* After many tries, then she would start.* I just dont want to continue to crank and damage my engine and or starter.

Thus far, I have change the fuel filters, fuel water seperators, new spark plugs,*oil*and the problem persists.* Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the hard starting on the 90 comes from not knowing how to start it.

Be sure to squeeze the fuel bulb until it is hard.

I assume you have a top mount shifter. If you do, when you go to start it, put the throttle control in throttle only and advance the throttle a lot. Hold the choke switch until the motor starts. Then you may have to activate the choke in short durations while you are bringing the throttle back...eventually to idle.

If you have a side mount box, you have to raise the fast idle lever all the way up to the shift handle. If the key switch is turned on, you will here the mechanical choke click at the engine.
Once again, hold that fast idle lever in choke mode until the engine starts. You might have to momentarily, raise the lever up to choke again until the motor eventually smooths out.

If the motor keeps coughing a lot, go back and squeeze the fuel bulb again to assure the motor is getting a good supply of fuel.

Mike

Thank you Mike and DarkStar for the responses. I will try both methods and hope it will resolve my problem.

I have never primed the bulb before trying to start the engine. When I squeeze it after it not starting, it has always feel almost empty. I have squeezed hard a couple of times but worry that I could flood the engine if I squeeze if too much. Is that possible?

Mike, you are correct about the top mount shifter. I have always advanced the throttle when I start her. But I will add pushing in the choke continuously until the engine starts. I will report back in the near future. Thanks again!

Always squeeze the bulb until it is hard when you start. As long as you do not jump up and down on it, once it is hard, it should not hurt anything. Once the carburetors are full of fuel, the float valves cut off the flow...thus hard fuel bulb.

Mike

Always squeeze the bulb until it is hard when you start. As long as you do not jump up and down on it, once it is hard, it should not hurt anything. Once the carburetors are full of fuel, the float valves cut off the flow...thus hard fuel bulb.

Mike

I tried the starting procedure as described. But that did not seem to help. I have purchased a fuel line and try and see if that helps

Back