Logo

25 hp idle troubleshooting

Suzuki1950

I have a 25 hp 2 stroke Suzuki 25 hp. I have used it for about 5 years. It idled fine for a couple of years but now it will not idle. It starts fine but I have to get it in gear right away and hit the throttle or it will die. It makes on difference if it is cold or warm. It starts fine. I have not messed with anything under the cowling except for new plugs. Suggestions anyone?

Do you mean take all three carbs off, disassemble them, clean the parts, and re-assemble? This seems to be a step that would zero it to the fuel system without ruling out other systems first. Or did you mean clean out the carburetor bowls? Taking off all three whole carbs sounds like a job.

Are you sure it is a 25HP? Over here 25HP 2-stroke Suzuki's have only one carb and 2 cylinders.Can you post the serial number? It should read something like this : DT 2501 13507 . The number is located on the port side of the transom bracket. Regards Pieter.

Well that is interesting. My serial number is DT 25C 02507902949. I did buy it used so it is possible the cowling was changed some time in the past (it says 25 hp.), but it definitely has 3 cylinders. Can you tell the year of manufacture from this serial number?

Go to brownspoint.com. This is a Suzuki web site. Your serial no makes your motor to be a 1999-2000 model and it is a3 cylinder.Learn something everyday.So that means remove all 3 carbs and clean all jets and passages with carb-cleaner and compressed air.Cleaning out the bowls won't help much.You will have to take the carbs off to get to the bowls anyway.Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a manual for this model just didn't know what year it was made. I'll try the seafoam first then if that doesn't work I'll take the carbs off and clean them.

Back