Logo

2003 bf 225 #6 cylinder no compression

Ok fellows finally got around to the compression check cylinders 1 thru 3 all between 195 to 210 , cylinder 4- 165, cylinder 5- 195 and cylinder 6-75:mad:. Any sugestions where to start now? My thoughts that it is all on the port side that it could possibly be a head gasket. My next step is to pull the valve covers and see if everything is intact and moving correctly. never been into these type motors that far any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You have diagnosed it enough already. If your not quite sure then check the low cylinder again. By the way, not that it matters. You do know how honda numbers their cylinders? Stb upper is #1 and Port upper is #4. Unit is of simple design however Honda uses tighest clearences of all marine manufactures. There is open debate ongoing at Honda due to their main and thrust bearing failures trying link them to tight clearences. Block corrosion at the cylinder deck is common place on your year model. Wish I could offer something better. Thanks Martin

Thanks Martin I ran some seafoam thru the motor to try and decarbonize the powerhead and pistons and rechecked the compression today with no real pressure differences.

Was this engine running well before you discovered the problem?

Has this engine had the service bulletin #56 fix? That is, replacing the exhaust tubes? The old exhaust tubes could allow water to be ingested into the cylinders under certain circumstances. If that happened to your engine, then you are going to need to pull the heads to assess the damage. You can call Honda (see http://marine.honda.com/owners) to check whether the fix was made and registered. Also, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will forward SB#56.

I sent you SB # 56. As I said in the e-mail, call Honda Marine in Atlanta and see if the warranty work has been done on your engine. If not, then you will need to pull the heads and assess the damage.

Back