Logo

2001 bf130 check engine light on

sawicki24

2001 bf130 with 690 hours. just replaced water pump and high pressure fuel pump in spring. ever since the motor starts hard in the morning but once warm, starts fine. now the problem that im having is after i run to the fishing grounds, shut the motor down, then go to fire it up to move, the check engine light comes on and the alarm sounds. once the motor cools down for awhile, i get no check engine light and no alarm but if i run it then for awhile and the engine gets hot, i get the light and alarm. also, when the alarm is sounding, the engine runs fine. im tired of getting the run around from the dealer and need any help from anybody

What is the dealer telling you?

I am assuming it actually is the check engine light and not the overheat light. You should have four lights total for warning lights. Overheat (red) , Oil Pressure (green), Mil (red), Charge (red)

Next time you get the alarm, make note of the status of all the warning lights. What is on and what is off.
Be sure when you turn the key switch to on, all of the lights come on for two seconds and all go back out except for the charge light.

Next time out, be sure to take a paper clip with you. When you get the alarm, shut the motor down, go to the port side and remove the black plastic cover that covers the ECU and several connectors. You will see a red connector with two wires going to it. Remove it from its holder and use the paper clip to jump across the two holes in the connector.

Turn the key to on and count the blinking check engine light. There may be several combinations. Record the blinks and let us know what you get. There may be long and short blinks. one long and one short means 11. Two long and two short means 22. They will continuously repeat.

Mike

What is the dealer telling you?

I am assuming it actually is the check engine light and not the overheat light. You should have four lights total for warning lights. Overheat (red) , Oil Pressure (green), Mil (red), Charge (red)

Next time you get the alarm, make note of the status of all the warning lights. What is on and what is off.
Be sure when you turn the key switch to on, all of the lights come on for two seconds and all go back out except for the charge light.

Next time out, be sure to take a paper clip with you. When you get the alarm, shut the motor down, go to the port side and remove the black plastic cover that covers the ECU and several connectors. You will see a red connector with two wires going to it. Remove it from its holder and use the paper clip to jump across the two holes in the connector.

Turn the key to on and count the blinking check engine light. There may be several combinations. Record the blinks and let us know what you get. There may be long and short blinks. one long and one short means 11. Two long and two short means 22. They will continuously repeat.

Mike

okay,
well the dealer went down and took the boat for a cruise. they said they had no problem starting the engine, said it started right up. they then took it for a cruise and said they could not get the engine to reproduce what i was talking about. so today i went out to go fishing. the engine was hardern then hell to start. it cranked and cranked and cranked then finally came to an idle. i then proceeded to run to the fishing grounds with no problems. once i got there i shut the motor down and went to fire it up and the check engine light was on(the only light on) and the buzzer sounded.i took off the motor cover and the black lid that covers the ecu. i found the red plug but there was no wires coming out of it. i took it apart and put the paper clip on, turned the key on but got no kind of flashes on the dash? the dealer did say that because of the age of the motor there was no way to read the codes. any ideas

What you did with the paper clip is the only way to check for codes on that engine. The dealer can not use a computer on it.

You never said if you had four warning lights or not.

If you do and the only light on was the mil light, then you may have an oil pressure sensor problem, warning panel problem, or an ECM problem.

You should have a green light on while the engine is running...indicating that there is good oil pressure.

All lights should come on for two seconds when you turn the key to on....then they will all go out except for the charge light.

Looking at your original post, I can not see how you would have done anything to the motor when you changed the low and high pressure filters.

Mike

Back