Logo

75hp OB Mercury no Spark

osifuentes

I was told that my boat requires a Power Pack,... while I am waiting for it to come in, Is it possible to check the spark plugs to see if they have Spark? Even with a bad power pak? And how is it done? Thanks

With a bad switch box ( powerpack ) ----there will be no spark.------How long have you owned the motor and what happened so that it needs a new switch box ??------Were any other tests done and by whom ??

With a bad switch box ( powerpack ) ----there will be no spark.------How long have you owned the motor and what happened so that it needs a new switch box ??------Were any other tests done and by whom ??[/QUOTe

Hello Racerone and thanks for replying, I had already written about half a page to answer, but it got lost,..But anyway, I took the Boat to a respectable Boat shop, where they have done work on my boat before with no complaints. Here is what happened... I had some issues with my RPM & Gas gages, I had tested my 75HP motor the day before ran it and pulled the gas line so the gas can run out, I always to this after washing my boat and when I run it to make sure it runs well... So It kinda freaked me out when they called 2 days later to say they could not get the boat running. That the power pack was BAD. I went to the shope to try to start it,... nothing and I did not have over $350. to get them to replace it. And asked if I could install it if I bought the part myself. They said Yes That it was and easy job, just make sure all the wires are put back in the same spot, So I ordered the part which was much cheaper than the price they quoted, I installed it and even tighten each nut to 30" lbs, like the book said. So the time came when I was ready to try to start it, AND>>> Yaroooommmmmm!!! I was so HAPPY!!!;) It ran GREAT! I even got the gas gage exchanged for one that worked correctly, the one that was in the boat was reading backwards, when my tank was full, the gage read empty, and veversa. That's fixed too! As to why the power pack went bad? I quess I will never know, but I did noticed one nut on the old power pack that had some black suet on it maybe that one shorted out, I also replace the two 20 amp old fashion type of glass fuses, in the motor one looked ok the other looked like it had white smoke markings at one end the little bar was not burned up in half, but I replaced them anyway, I also replaced the spark plugs. It's running pretty good, I do have another question about advancing the throttle just a little, would that throw off the timing if I do that? Please explain and thanks so much!
Oscar*

Hello Racerone:
I know you have to have running water on your motor to test it or to flush it out and most tests are done at idle speed, in nuetral...So To test the idle speed or if the motor needs to be adjusted, Is it safe to put it in gear and for how long? I might have to use a timing light on it.
Thanks for your Help.!

Back