Logo

Engine Conversion

dwleo

After a lengthy posting and replies elsewhere on this site, it has been determined that my volvo-penta 6 cylinder I/O is not worth fixing. The exhaust manifold leaks water into the exhaust chamber - $4000 replacement - more than the boat is worth.
This boat is a 22' fibreform and was bought to be a workboat to transport materials to and from a piece of property on an island. After two years we would get rid of the boat and get something a lot nicer. Therefore the cost of conversion is, in this case, prohibitive.
So the question:confused::

Is it feasible to add on to the transom and mount an outboard on it? (Removing the leg, etc.)
Being a Fibreform I don't know how beefed they made their transoms but it is even thickness overall not just at the leg. It would be powered with probably a 75 hp to 110 hp engine so the stresses would be less than the existing straight 6, I would think.
And I ain't got a bucket of money to throw at it.
I do realize that there would be a lot of changing to be done (wiring, hydraulics, etc.) but winter is coming before you know it and therefore time to work on it as it looks like this year is toast.

I don't know where you are located, but in my neck of the woods, there are hundreds of boats with 75 to 110hp engines for sale for the same price as the engine...

On most outboard powered boats - the value is almost ALL in the engine.
Buying another boat will probably be way cheaper than converting yours and then finding out it won't even steer or it porpoises like mad because the weight balance is not what the hull was designed around.

mounting outboards to i/o hulls is a crapshoot at best

Last edited:
I don't know where you are located, but in my neck of the woods, there are hundreds of boats with 75 to 110hp engines for sale for the same price as the engine...

On most outboard powered boats - the value is almost ALL in the engine.
Buying another boat will probably be way cheaper than converting yours and then finding out it won't even steer or it porpoises like mad because the weight balance is not what the hull was designed around.

mounting outboards to i/o hulls is a crapshoot at best

Ayuh,.... I've watched associates attempt 6 tries, 'n results were 6 failures...

The nicest was an ole Chris, Lancer,... It went from stringer drive, to outboard, to Mercruiser, 350, Alpha 1....

It's still a Sweet boat today...

I'm with hystat,... go buy a barge to do what ya gotta do,...

Then part this thing out to other's tryin' to get 1 more lap outa Their antique obsolete drive, 'n motor...

If ya Like the ole barge,...
This winter, find a rotten donor boat, with a newer driveline, 'n swap it in, if yer lookin' for a winter project...

Back