Logo

I did something stupid to my 8 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke (1990)

HaydenL

In an effort to remove debris from the tell tale on my Yamaha 8 HP short shaft, I fed about 7 inches of solder into the hole. The problem is that I fed it into the small exhaust hole, not the tell tale! Then, the solder broke after removing about 5 inches of it. So, 2 or so inches remain inside the exhaust port just above the top of the leg and I can't get it out. Now the exhaust is partly plugged.

Have I done something that will require the power head to be removed to get the remaining solder out of the exhaust. Could I have lodged solder in the combustion chamber or in around any moving parts? I ran the motor for about 3 seconds after lodging it in there.

Will the power head need to be removed and gaskets replaced, etc? Is there anything else I should know other than I should not mess with my motor. Sigh.

HaydenP8070123.jpgP8070128.jpgP8070124.jpg

Now the exhaust is partly plugged.

naaah... well, yeah, but naaaah...

99% of your exhaust goes out through the center of your propeller. Those holes are idle relief holes to relieve some back pressure when starting and idling the motor.
I wouldn't worry too much about 2" of solder in one of them- it'll blow out some day - or will just fall out through the propeller.

I'd just take it to the lake and go for a good run.

If you are really concerned.... bring your 8HP over here, and I'll trade you straight up for my 1990 6HP Yamaha :)

looks like an Aquamarine inflatable

Last edited:
Back