Logo

honda charging system

flyguild

I am looking at purchasing a new(newer) 9.9 20" shaft outboard.
If it is an electric start then it can charge up to 12 Amp maximum, rope start output up to 6 amps, I have a 55# electric motor for trolling, which is supplied from two 6 volt, connected in series, 225 ah wheel chair batteries.
Question, if I use the deep cycle batteries for starting will it damage them, will the standard 6 amp charge be enough to replace the discharge from the use of the electric motor?
Thank you in advance,
Barry Radelet

The small amount of current that the 9.9 needs to start should not hurt your batteries.

As for 6 amp being enough to replace the discharge of the electric motor....I am assuming the electric motor is the trolling motor that you are referring to.

The answer is ....it depends.

First, the charging from the engine is not exactly what the deep cycle batteries are looking for... It will put some charge into the batteries. As for totally replacing the charge...probably not.

If your trolling motor draws 25 amps for one hour and in a perfect world, the Honda's charging system is perfect for a trolling motor battery, you would have to run the Honda fast enough to generate 6 amps and then you would have to run it for 25amps/6 amps hours. Which means 4.166 hours.

Not knowing exactly what a 55 lb trolling motor draws, my guess is that it is somewhere between 0 and 30 - 40 amps. Since most of the 55 lb motors that I have installed are fused at 50 amps

I think you get the picture.

Mike

Back