Logo

Fuel tank locations?

Cameron Baird

I have a 1972 36' Uniflite sportfisherman. I'm having sludge problems in the old aluminum tanks that are in the engine compartment alongside the motors. They would be impossible to remove without removing the entire sole of the boat. My question is: Could I install new fiberglass tanks in the compartment under the salon? I have lots of room there and would rather have one large tank serving both motors than two separate tanks. Is there any reason that the tanks have to be in the engine compartment vs under the salon. if they are installed properly there should be no fumes. If I thought I could clean them out I would but from reading most of the forums on the topic of cleaning gas tanks it sounds like a sketchy solution.

You should have plenty of mobile service providers that can clean the crud out of your fuel tank, especially down there in FLA.

if you relocate the fuel tank forward, you will change the center of gravity of the boat. this could impact the operating characteristics of the hull. If that is the path, I'd get a good marine architect to assess the mod. if you don't want to fork up the cash for that, at a minimum, I'd suggest adding the equivalent weight in that compartment and seeing what she handles like before getting the tank. The larger the tank, the bigger the impact.

I was told that the oil injector in a 1996 evenrude developed a short and stopped. It was running fine a week ago and ran fine after toe wire was replaced but now I'm told that I need a new pump. Are the fuel and oil pumps one unit? Thanks J prossermd

Back