Logo

Honda BF 50 Tiller

jmeyen

About a week ago I purchased a used Honda BF50 outboardmotor with tiller handle.* After mountingit on my boat I backed it into the water and started the engine.* After idling the engine for a couple ofminutes I didn’t think there was enough water coming out of the cooling systemindicator, so I shut it off and returned home.*I bought a new impeller and replaced it myself.* I took my boat back to the lake, started itup and took it for a ride.* I still didn’tthink that there was enough water coming out of the cooling system indicator,but the farther I went the more water came out.*I ran the motor for about an hour and it didn’t over heat.* So, I assume my water pump is working and mymotor is getting enough water to keep it cool. **How come the water stream coming out of thecooling system indicator seems so weak?* Ihave ordered a flush kit from a Honda dealer. **One more issue, there is a small water linecoming out of the lower unit by the shifter linkage.* I have been told this is for a speedometer,which I don’t have on my boat.* Can I plug this water line?* Any chance that pluggingthe speedometer waterline would improve the flow of water at the cooling systemindicator on the back of the motor? *****

Last edited:
Lots of time, the small hose to the indicator gets clogged, or crimped. Remove the hose to the indicator, make sure it is clean, and then use a piece of wire to clean out the nipple where the hose connects to the block.. The petit tube for the speedometer has nothing to do with the cooling. Yes, plug it up and secure it inside the cowling.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!

Lots of time, the small hose to the indicator gets clogged, or crimped. Remove the hose to the indicator, make sure it is clean, and then use a piece of wire to clean out the nipple where the hose connects to the block.. The petit tube for the speedometer has nothing to do with the cooling. Yes, plug it up and secure it inside the cowling.

Back