Logo

diesel vs gas engine opinion

hgput17

Upgrading to a larger boat and have 2 identical boats targeted, one with two Merc 7.4L EFI straight inboards and the other with two Volvo KAMD 300 diesels. I found manufacturer spec sheets for both engine combinations; fuel economy for the diesels is about 40% better, 1.3mpg vs 0.95mpg. Diesel fuel at area fuel docks is approx. 0.15 - 0.20 cents cheaper than gas. Based on my average annual usage, the fuel savings is probably $500-$750 per year (north east). The boat with diesel engines is materially more expensive and I am concerned about regular maintenance costs with diesels. Basically, the break even point from fuel savings is very far away.

Looking for opinions and experiences....

search for Pascoe's article on the gas vs diesel trade...you will find all the relevent areas discussed. buying used adds the Unknown maintenance factor unless the claimed maintenance has detailed receipts to support it. The cost to repair the Merc relative to the volvo should be measurably less for similar failures.

My opinion is that the diesel is the way to go. Safety is the first reason and second a diesel is all sealed up basically. It's injected and needs no spark. Fuel lasts indefinitely and a few additives along the way don't hurt.

In the agricultural arena, having had diesel and gas tractors over the years, diesels have few problems and are extremely reliable. Besides the torque advantage usually. Additionally a diesel will take a lot of abuse as long as you keep the fuel clean, but that's why they have fuel filters and water separators....diesels don't like water in the fuel but it's no biggie to keep it out.

My 2c,
Mark

Back