Logo

Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke no water flow overheating

Tony Nestor

I have a Yamaha 8 HP 2 Stroke that is not getting a steady stream of water. Today I took a can of canned air and tried to blow out from the input where you normally put the muffs and also from the output direction. I did this twice and it worked like a charm but within 10 min. I watched it slowly stop putting out the stream of water to nothing. The impeller/water pump was replaced within the past year but I have no idea if it worked before or not.

Is there a way to clean this out without pulling the unit? There appears to be a weed guard where you put the muffs, can I remove those and somehow vacuum or blow that out? I am not sure what is behind the weed guard? I believe the motor is a 2002 or possibly a bit older but it's never been run much.

What do you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help. FYI, I am a total newbie to marine engines so please be as specific as possible.

-Cooling passages could need cleaning out. Thermostat may be clogged with salt and/or other deposits. Replace same. Sometimes a piece of debris will plug the tell-tale outlet, clean out with toothpick. replce waterpump and cartridge.

Got it, today I used a air compressor to blow it out from the input and output and verified the chamber was free. I did notice that while running the motor that I feel hot air coming out but no water?

Does that indicate the water pump is not working or could it be the t-stat? Is there anyplace I can find step-by-step instructions on how to test the t-stat? At this point I am unsure of where it even is. Thanks for the help.

Back