Logo

2006 F 60 dropped plastic down dipstick hole

Spoolmak

I dropped a 1/4 by 4 inch hard plastic tube down the dipstick hole - yeah, go figure the chances of that happening!! I could not retrieve it. Drained oil, fished for it with claws, tried vacuuming with small hose jig on shop vac, all to no avail.
I've been told not to worry about it as there are no moving parts where it is in bottom of pan, and the oil pump has a big screen over it so it cannot be sucked up, and the oil does not ever get to the temperature where the plastic would melt.
Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I can't believe someone else did this too! I managed to drop (likely doing the same thing) a rigid plastic tube into the same chamber. So...my question is: How's the engine running? I was told today, by a marine repair shop (that would make loads of $ on the repair) that I should get it removed. Thoughts?

Go figure. Two guys in the world with the same problem connected by the web. I took the advice to not do anything, and my engine never missed a beat. I put 60 hours on her since the event with no signs of any kind of problem. The tube in my crankcase is the red, hard plastic tube used to inflate/deflate truck suspension airbags. I had popped it onto a large syringe to pull some oil out of the crankcase through the dipstick hole after slightly overfilling oil during oil change. I should have used a much longer tube with most of it sticking out of dipstick hole.
My dealer also instantly recommended pulling the power head off the top which leaves the crankcase- oil pan wide open so they could take out the plastic tube. They suggested it would take a mechanic one whole day to do this, so eight hours at $110 per hour plus gaskets, shop supplies etc, taxes for a bill around $1200 to $1400.
My wife contacted a web based outboard technician (real guys don't ask for help, especially after an oops like this) and his advice is what shaped my decision.
Relax, save the money.
Tor

Back