Logo

Honda 200BF - Constant Alarm - No codes to go by...

Rand Pratt

New so forgive my first adventure into this world...

I have a pair of 200BF's that came with a whaler that I bought from the CG. Compression is great engines sound amazing! One of them will sound a constant alarm occasionaly and the engine will go int "safe" mode? It seems to happen when I touch the throttles if i am doing 3400 rpm and i take it down and then back up it sounds and goes into safety... the bulb at the engine is evidently empty when this occurs...

It will also happen around 2000 rpm more frequently...

Replaced the o2 sensor... again there are no codes...

Would Greatly Appreciate any help!!

Not good, maybe you will have luck than the last guy. Get a very large screw driver or pry bar. Remove the top air intake box.Gently pry upper pully up, if you hear a clunk or thump then you're toast. Max Vertical lift is 0.14" Thrust bearing failure can be easely repaired. Thanks Martin

McYama.... Ding... DIng... Ding... we have a winner and me a looser...

Almost 1/2 in of play... tried the heavy oil trick to buy some time but we are headed in for a rebuild :(

Thanks for helping out. Quite amazing actually considering two mechanics were stuck for a month trying to figure it out.

Don't see how a worn thrust bearing will set off an alarm and take you to safe mode unless there is a drop in oil pressure. Is there?

Furthermore, if there is an alarm, then there is a fault code on the control module EPROM. How are you pulling codes?

Don't see how a worn thrust bearing will set off an alarm and take you to safe mode unless there is a drop in oil pressure. Is there?

Furthermore, if there is an alarm, then there is a fault code on the control module EPROM. How are you pulling codes?

We lost oil pressure... the green light on the 4 light switch went out... we were plugged in using the Honda Pocket Computer... did not show any faults!!

The Heavy oil trick is working as long as I do not go over 4500 rpm.

Yep - you are right. The old brain wasn't fully engaged at 4:00 am this morning. The oil pressure alarm does not go through the regular ECM fault system. It is a separate function.

I feel for ya! If replacing crank and bearings, make sure your tech is VERY EXPERIENCED. The only thing worse than a engine failure is two engine failures. If you need assistance PM me. Better luck. Thanks Martin

Back