Logo

Oil to gas ratio Critical

F

Frank Sebastian

"Hi all, I have been helped se

"Hi all, I have been helped several times by this board and now I have another question. I commercial fish for stone crabs and blue crabs. I live on the east central coast of Florida. I use 25 HP 2 stroke Johnson/Evinrude engines. I have several boats that members of my family use. The mechanic that kept me going for 35 years is now unable to work so I have been going to his successor. I have had considerable problems of late with stuck rings and carburetors (two of three engines) When I told him I was mixing 3 oz per gallon of OMC "system matched TW3 oil" he said" that is the quickest way to cause these problems" i.e. stuck rings and dirty carbs. I find that hard to believe as I have done this since 1964 and before that I used one quart for each 6 gallons ( about 24 : 1 ratio) and the way I mix now is about( 43.6 : 1 ) rather than 48 : 1.

I feel it may be the gas as I have been using Wal-Mart gas rather than the Chevron I used to use? I would really like to hear a few wise words from an experienced engine person to see what they would do. I may want to go to a mechanic with more experience in two stroke engines that require mixing oil in the gas.

Sebastian"

"Sebastian,

Chevron uses TE

"Sebastian,

Chevron uses TECHRON great stuff. Really cleans out all the carbon from your motor. Also very realable gas. Also Justintime will attest to that. Since he pointed it out to me.

Walmart gas, is what ever they can find cheap. So who know what you are getting? Right?

Larry"

Gap those plugs at 40 and add

Gap those plugs at 40 and add some seafoam to each tank to help keep the carbon out. I would do a decarb on every one and keep seafoam in each tank because todays gas is the sorriest fuel I have used in a long time.

"Another vote for Seafoam!

"Another vote for Seafoam!

Also, make sure you're mixing the oil exactly at 50:1. I started using a mixing bottle like this one http://seasense.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/005.3.2263084810900014783? to take the guess work out of adding oil. You can get this bottles at Wal-Mart for under $5.

Another suggestion is to try using Amsoil. I run that in my PWC and chainsaw and the plugs look fantastic in those engines. I was going to use it in my boat last year, but I had XD50 left over from the previous year and didn't want to waste it. I'll be making the switch to Amsoil HPI next year for my Evinrude 140.

KJ"

"try sea-foam
there should be

"try sea-foam
there should be a de-carb write up
Chevron gas is the best, the TECHRON is actually the same ingredients as RING-FREE from Yamaha
Found out Wally-Worlds supplier, there is only 3 suppliers of gas, the GAS Companies actually just add there own chemicals, techron,v-power ETC.

i de-carb my engine 2 times a year since i do a lot of trolling, low speed work

oil is a whole other topic i can go on and on and on
buy the semi-synth stuff, the fully synth stuff is a waste of money to me. these best thing for your car is actually a Dino oil with synth mix 50/50."

"At the 3oz per gallon that yo

"At the 3oz per gallon that you mention, you're using 18oz per 6gal of fuel which is a slight difference from a 50/1 mixture (16oz per 6gal).

I can't see where that would make a great amount of difference but it's not necessary. The 1 pint of TCW-III per 6 gallons would be fine.

The engine should run fine on 87 octane but I've found that 87 octane at one station might not be equivalent to 87 octane at another station. At least that's what I've found by purchasing 87 octane at various stations to run my truck.

Also.... be sure to purchase a top quality 50/1 oil. Poor quality oil is the leading cause of ring sticking. It might cost slightly more but the cost per pint is considerably less than engine repairs."

Obviously the " replacemen

Obviously the " replacement " mechanic does not have the same values as the mechanic of yesteryear. That old brand of mechanic is going the way of the DODO.Oil and other petroleum products can be blended by any refinery to sell at the price the customer ( walmart )wants to pay. The customer then puts an attractive price on it for you the consumer.Modern marketing and hype is what it is about. I for one stick with name brand products as you get what you pay for.

i look at it this way...i run

i look at it this way...i run a boat gas bill of 250 bucks a month the last two months..i run mercury oil exclusively...evinrude would be fine but its not handled by service stations or stores in my area and i dont believe in mixing oil because of additives..look at total cost of trip and you are not talking that much more money to run good gas and oil..look at cost of new motor and crank that into the equasion..look at degree of trust you would have in a rebuilt engine..if its blown it is gone is my motto...fortunately in 40 plus years of running outboards i have never blown an engine that i bought new and followed my rules...the only reason i have ever traded a motor is because i was changing boats...i also think it is important to buy an engine that you dont have to run wot to get the performance you desire...run em once a year at wot to test will do the job...i also ignore advice until the giver of advice is proven to me...i think this site has some good proven members...i enjoy reading the problems..keep up the good work..Carl

Back