Logo

Must read

bmorris

"Everyone thank you so much fo

"Everyone thank you so much for your response to my starter problem. I have narrowed it down. First and foremost I must have it in Neutral. Second of all I have a bad starter.. Now if I can get the right one I will be in business. I have tried two already. Is there anywere ( online )I can order one? moderatly priced to fit this engine?( 898 Merc 305 GM V8 ) I would love to put her back in comission and in the water were she belongs. Also, Iam concerned it may be seized. How can I tell? I have tried to move the harmonic balancer but I cannot get it to move by hand. It has been sitting for atleast two years according to the previous owner."

"I don't think I'd be

"I don't think I'd be worried about a starter at this point if the motor's siezed! You could buy 1 for a tank and not get it to turn over! I'd start by removing all the plugs and the starter and see if you can turn it over by hand. If not, the next logical step would be to remove the heads and try again. If this doesn't work, I'm afraid the only choice left is a new long block. Good Luck!"

"Pull the plugs and see if you

"Pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over. If you can't, your upper gearcase may be locked so I would remove that and try again. If you still can't turn it over, you have proglems.

If the boat is a great deal, maybe it'll be worth buying. If the motor is seized, I doubt the rest of the boat will go unscathed by their lack of maintenance.

Next time you start a thread, just post the problem. MUST READ makes people think it's from the moderators."

"not to pile on, mr morris...

"not to pile on, mr morris... but you wont be able to turn the motor by grabbing the harmonic balancer. Put a 12 inch drive socket wrench on the hex head cap screw at the center of the blancer and try to turn that way."

"Pull the plugs squirt three p

"Pull the plugs squirt three pulls of oil into each clyinder, let it sit for half a day. I started a 454 which hadn't turned for 9 years, hooked a large battery and 75 amp battery charger and touched the starter for a short turn. Got it to roll over found it runs great. Bare in mind I have been working on engines for 40 years. If your not up to it, have a mechanic do it, it can be dangerous, you have to know what your doing, and when to stop, or go on. Check to that the transmission isn't locked or blown. Before doing this."

Back