Logo

Faulty Ignition Switch?

tperk100

At ramp, starter would not engage (not even a "click" was heard). However, I could hear the click from the engine when pushing in on the key for the choke or "en-richer" or whatever it's called. I suspected the kill switch because in the past, when tested, it occasionally did not kill the engine like it's supposed to. Thought maybe it had failed and would not let engine crank. Fooled around with switch, batteries (3), tapping on starter, etc with no success. Tried about 20 times with no starter engagement. Went home.

Murphy decided to meet me at home. In garage, bumped the ignition key and starter engaged every time....about a dozen times in a row. Obviously something is intermittently acting up. Still suspecting kill switch, I CUT the 2 wires to the switch. Now with no kill switch I expected the ignition would not operate...but IT DID ...again I could bump the starter with no problem.

Soooooo...I am thinking that maybe the kill switch operates the opposite of how I thought it did, so I spliced the 2 wires together to see what would happen. (I made the connection but without the kill switch). Once again the engine starter engaged.!! Now I am a little baffled.

How could the starter, in my garage, engage with or without the kill switch? Why would the starter NOT engage at all at the ramp? All this leads me to wonder if I need to replace the ignition switch. Seem logical to me, but would like to hear other's opinions and/or suggestions.

The kill switch doesn't prevent the engine from turning over, it only grounds out the stator electrical so the engine won't start.

You can try spraying some electrical lubricant inside the ignition switch in case there is any corrosion inside making the contacts work at random.

Other than that, you may have a bad switch or a loose wire on the ignition side. Or even a faulty set of contacts inside the starter.

If you have a multi-meter, you can easily check to make sure your getting 12v to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition to start, at lease to rule the ignition switch out.

it could be that the controls dont know its in nuetral also...wiggle the shift lever on the controls when it fails...could also just be a bad connection on the battery.....clean them well and look for any gray or green corrosion abound the lugs...checking voltage with a meter on the solenoid pick is the way to go .....that way you can see whether you got low voltage or no voltage.....

It also could have been a "senior moment,"....which is exactly what it was. I did not have the control quite in neutral. I have only been operating outboards for about 40 years, so I am going to blame this on inexperience (aka "senior moment").

Thanks for your responses.
Tom the dumb-a** in Va Beach

its odd how we get too deep too quick in a problem sometimes...i was drinking coffee at the camp one time with a motor that all of a sudden wouldnt start....something got hung in a lawn chair as i was getting up...it was my kill switch lanyard...

It also could have been a "senior moment,"....which is exactly what it was. I did not have the control quite in neutral. I have only been operating outboards for about 40 years, so I am going to blame this on inexperience (aka "senior moment").

Thanks for your responses.
Tom the dumb-a** in Va Beach
Your an honest man Tom :) Now get in that boat and go fishing!!!

Back