Logo

New Prop maybe

jazzyj

"Hi,
I have a Bayliner 175 20

"Hi,
I have a Bayliner 175 2006 with a 3.0L Mercrusier stern drive with a Alpha leg.
I found that pulling some skiers the boat struggles a little bit getting them out of the water. Someone has made the sugestion that going from a 21" pitch to a 19" pitch will get the boat out of the hole} quicker, is this true?
If so do you have any recomendation on with brand of prop would be best? I have been looking at a Solas stainless 4 blade 19".
Any advise or help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jeff"

"Jeff
Props are always trade

"Jeff
Props are always trade offs. A boat builder gives you a prop that get you out of the hole, but top speed sells so, hole shot might be traded for top speed, if thats not you, try a different prop. NOt everyone wants the same thing. Yes changing the prop will help, but small changes are best, don't go to wild."

"Hello Jeff:

The 21P prop f

"Hello Jeff:

The 21P prop for my Bayliner is for speed. the 175 is a good little boat that should see upper 40's without a lot of trouble with the 3.0L. The 175 is a wonderful package for the money!

Now if you are going to pull skiers you should consider the 19P stainless prop. A 4 blade will give you a ton of holeshot and good handeling at crusing speed. A 3 blade 19P will be you pretty good holeshot and a little more top-end. I like the 3 blade props be the best of both worlds, top end and holeshot.

What kind of RPM's are you hitting at WOT with the 21P? I would assume that you are seeing 4600-4700 withthe 21P. Sound about right?

The 19P will increase your RPM's by approx 250-300 RPM's. Your engine is rated not to exceed 4800 and no less than 4400 RPM's at W.O.T.

I really like the Mercury barnd of props. A 19P LAZER II or a 19P Vengence would be good choices. The LAZER II will give you a little more speed and the Vengence will save you about $120 over the price of the LAZER. I run a 17P Vengence on my Stingray 180LS. My boat is 18'L.O.A. weights approx 2500 pounds with fuel and gear. I run a modified 17P Vengence prop. I see 4500 RPM's at WOT and see 44.5MPH on my GPS. This prop givers me a lot of low end grunt coming out of the hole."

"T.Blackmore,
Thanks for that

"T.Blackmore,
Thanks for that. If i upgrade my prop that increases the W.O.T by 250-300 RPM's will i have to be carefull not to over rev the engine.
I believe that the W.O.T is sitting at around 4500-4600."

"Hi Jeff:

Yes be careful no

"Hi Jeff:

Yes be careful not to over rev. 4800 RPM's is the max for your engine. This would be with the trim up and W.O.T. Normally you would expect to see anywhere from 150-200+ RPM increase for every inch in pitch that you drop down. Same can be said for the reverse. You will lose 150-200 RPM's for each inch in pitch you go up. Now with that said it can and will vary from boat to boat.
If you are at 4500-4600 I would not go down in pitch any lower than the 19P prop. You should see a big difference going from the 21P to 19P 3 blade.

Now a smaller pitch will do a couple of things. You will lose a couple of MPH, your RPM's will go up and you gas miliage will drop just a little. But your boat will be setup much better for all around performance with the 19P. It is really hard to beat a 19P stainless on those little Bayliners if you are going to carry more than just a driver and if you are going to ski/tube/wakeboard. The 21P is to get the top speed numbers up on these little boats with a very light load. Upper 40's MPH looks nice when you are selling a boat that costs around $12,900. The 21P's are really only good for a very light load and fast top end.

Take care!"

"Fellow Jeff Person:

If you

"Fellow Jeff Person:

If you're a cheapskate (like me) you can simply have a prop shop remove a couple of inches of pitch. The boat will leap out of the hole, especially with skiers back there, but top end and gas mileage will be less.

On not over-reving the engine, all you have to do is keep an eye on the tach. When it nears 4,800 rpms, back off a little on the throttle. Nothing to it! After all, you don't leave it wide open all the time now, right?

Jeff"

Back