Logo

Fuel pump issue????

johnandmariap

I have a 1971 Johnson 100 hp model 100ESL71C. I have adjusted the idle speeds both high and low and while trying to get the boat to plane the engine bogs down. At full throttle it only goes about 1/2 speed for a short time then bogs down for a few seconds then goes back to 1/2 speed.Does this sound like a fuel pump issue or something more complex???? It starts fine and idles fine,just seems when it needs more fuel it can't get it!!:confused:

Thank you for your feed back.I will check all that stuff and get back with ya.I did tear down the fuel pump and it was very dirty,pastey stick oil and dirt,so I cleaned that,the screen wasn't dirty though.Now I'll check all the plugs and stuff and get back asap.Thanks again for your input.

I checked the plug wires and cyl. 1 and cyl. 4 didn't drop the idle at all.Cyl. 2 does drop and cyl. 3, the motor quits!I moved the plugs around and it's not the plugs.I checked each plug while the motor was running with a plug tester and all 4 have good spark.Next is the compression test.
So far cyl. 2 and 3 are firing good and 1 and 4 are not firing or got bad compression.I'll get back with ya on the compression test.This isn't looking good so far.Thank you.

Looking AT THE MOTOR FROM THE BACK TOP LEFT IS 2,BOTTOM LEFT IS 4,TOP RIGHT IS 1,AND BOTTOM RIGHT IS 3.THE PLUG WIRES ARE LABELED WITH LITTLE METAL MARKERS.I still haven't checked the compression though,I have to go buy that compression checker.

Have you removed high speed jets ( 4 of them ) and confirmed that they are clean.-----------Have you removed flywheel to inspect points , rotor and distributor cap ?-Points are set at 0.010"

I did inspect the points earlier,the motor wasn't getting any spark to begin with,so I pulled the flywheel and 1 of the points wasn't opening.I did set the points to .010 and got spark,then this problem started.Where are the high speed jets at,on the front of the carb. their are 4 slow idle screws but no high speed.Are they inside the carb.?

Just checked the compression and got 125psi in all 4 cylinders.I'm thinking distributor and rotor are my problem.While running I can here a distictive miss,like intermitant spark is going on.Is their any way to check the distributor to tell if it's bad or not?

I did inspect the points earlier,the motor wasn't getting any spark to begin with,so I pulled the flywheel and 1 of the points wasn't opening.I did set the points to .010 and got spark,then this problem started.Where are the high speed jets at,on the front of the carb. their are 4 slow idle screws but no high speed.Are they inside the carb.?Just checked the compression and got 125psi in all 4 cylinders.I'm thinking distributor and rotor are my problem.While running I can here a distictive miss,like intermitant spark is going on.Is their any way to check the distributor to tell if it's bad or not?

Back