Logo

honda 5hp outboard problem

hondas

I am asking wether if someone encountered this problem with a honda hp5 four stroke i use it in saltwater after i give the motor a 2hr trip without stopping and moving slowly it stopped on the forward gear fuel was coming and spark was coming can any one tell me what might else can be the problem

It may have overheated. Did you notice if the water indicator stream (pee stream) looked normal or if it was not there?
Did you check the oil and make sure the green light was on?

the motor water is good water is coming so it not overheated and the engine oil and the gear box oil was changed by me a week ago i am thinking can the carburator flow of the motor will jam a little bit so then the motor will shut? i am going to do also a compression test so when i have the results maybe 2 days more i will post them thanks for helping me.

So, you're saying it stopped and will not restart at all?

Well, it could still overheat, even if it has a good stream. Say, for example, the thermostat got stuck closed.

Ignore this if you've already checked it but could it be something simple like:
The fuel tank vent was not opened.
The fuel hose is sucking air.
The fuel pick up tube in the tank is broken off.
I know you said it was getting fuel but it never hurts to double check.

You are certain it's getting spark? How are you checking for spark? Do you have a charge kit and were you hooked to and charging a battery when it stalled?

You could be right about some debris getting in the carburetor. Do you have a way, other that the dreaded, engine killing starting fluid, to provide another fuel source? DO NOT USE ETHER STARTING FLUID!! It will damage your engine.

Propane from a soldering torch works well. Or carburetor cleaner spray "fogged" into the intake will make the engine run briefly to prove a carb is not supplying fuel.

Maybe someone else will jump in with some better questions and/or answers.

Propane? Really? wow, it makes sense i guess, but the irony is I was just reading about a propane outboard in popular mechanics. Will file that tip.

Yes! It is the ideal substitute for testing as it is already in a gaseous state and there is no need to atomize and then vaporize it to get it to burn. Propane has a wide range of "flammability limits" or ignition ratio of air to fuel which you can get close enough to gasoline's 14.7 to 1 "stoichiometrey" to make it work.

It is safer than using a liquid in that it won't spill and form a puddle that could feed a fire if the vapor accidentally ignites outside the combustion chamber.

It dissipates quickly in the atmosphere and any flare up that might occur is easily extinguished by simply moving the torch away and closing the valve. It will not damage your engine as ether based starting fluid ALWAYS does.

You can use an inexpensive "Bernz O Matic" propane torch available at any hardware store. Just stick it up in the intake, turn on the gas valve, crack the throttle open and crank the engine. The engine will automatically be pulling in air to mix with the propane and you may need to experiment a bit with how far you open the torch valve. Start by opening the valve 1/4 turn or so since propane does require a smaller percentage of fuel to air than gasoline does.
about 10 to 1.

If the problem is fuel starvation due to a faulty carburetor or weak fuel pump and the ignition system is firing properly then the engine will start and even respond to throttle input if your torch valve is at a high enough setting.

Works on carbureted and fuel injected systems alike.

You will find it easier to use if you enlist the assistance of a helper since holding the torch, operating the throttle and cranking the engine is a three handed job. I have made a device that clips a hose from my propane tank to the intake so that I can work alone but, then, I do this a lot.

As with any flammable substance, you should be very careful! Keeping an extinguisher nearby and ready is always a good idea. But, with propane, the risk of an uncontrolled fire is really very small.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help because there are small things
I didnt checked so I will check them and will give the results her
Thanks

Back