Logo

Selva (possible Yamaha) 4HP model 95 mixing water with gear oil (lower unit)

dar7ren

Hi,
This is my first posting as just ventured into marine life!
With the boat I bought, I have an auxiliary Selva 4hp 2 stroke engine. On the net I found that most are Yamaha clones. I cannot recognize the actual model. I guess it is a 90's model. The cover has a 95 sticker in front and 4hp at sides.

The problem is that water is leaking in and mixing with gear oil in the lower unit. I am suspecting water is coming in from the propeller shaft. I tried to remove the propeller by first removing the propeller nut and tried (in vain) to pull out the propeller. I tried to heat up the shaft and hammered on the nut with the lower unit suspended from the propellor.... So I am not sure if this is the proper way to take it out.

Any help much appreciated, including in actual model number etc.

IMG_0620.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_0622.jpgIMG_0623.jpgIMG_0624.jpg

Hammering is hard on things, and heat is undesirable as it can affect the seals (although in this case you are going to replace them anyway). Better to hire/buy a prop puller, or make up a puller using a large fine thread bolt to push on the end of the shaft whilst pulling against the back of the prop (like a customised gear puller etc). If you have a local outboard shop I would probably pay them a few $'s to pull it off unless you want to spend a couple of hours making up a puller. If you grease the prop shaft regularly (annually) in the future you should never have the problem again.
Check if that prop has a rubber 'bush. between the actual prop and the splined part of the hub. Larger props always do, but unsure if that one has. If it does have a rubber bush you will need to check carefully to see if it is damaged from the heat or banging/pulling. If in doubt, get a propeller repair guy to check it and rehub it if required.

Thanks Aliboy for your reply. If there is someone familiar with this model, I would like to know if the propeller is attached to shaft using splines or if this is a spring drive propellor.

Back