Logo

Engine runs Great initially but Quits after reaching operating temp

jamarogers

"1998 5.0L Alpha Stern drive.

"1998 5.0L Alpha Stern drive. Cranks easily and runs until it reaches operating temp, then quits. Recranks ok and runs for 10 - 30 seconds and quits...this continues for 4- 5 times then it will not crank. I let it cool down and the cycle repeats itself. I have replace the ICM module but the problem continues. It's getting fuel and filter/strainers are clean. It accelerates smoothly to high rpm and runs smooth while it is running. It stops suddenly without missing. I have had the boat since 1997 and never had a problem like this. I have done regular routine maintenance...plugs, oil/lubricants, freeze protection, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Jake"

"is it fuel injected? if so, s

"is it fuel injected? if so, start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it. I would suspect a sensor failure. Not as familar about MCM fuel injection but there are temp/pressure sensors that "enable" the fuel pump. At any rate, you will get lots of commentary on this one."

"SOunds like a bad temp sensor

"SOunds like a bad temp sensor, its not telling the engine its warming up. You need to have someone plug in a computer and check for codes."

"David, Thanks for the advice.

"David, Thanks for the advice. It is NOT EFI. There is an Oil pressure Switch and a Water temp switch, (along with a gear lube level monitor) which sound an audible alarm. Are these the FO pump permissives you are referring to? Thanks again for any assistance.
Jake"

Check your harness plug connec

Check your harness plug connector. Make sure connector is tight and not slipping off when the clamp is tightened. Check for 12 volts to the ignition coil at the (+) terminal. I also noticed that you havent checked for ignition spark. The ignition coil may also be defective.
Dania Marine Corp.
Marine Engines and Parts
954-927-2999
954-927-2999

Solution: Thanks to all of yo

Solution: Thanks to all of you for the advise and help. I just replaced the ignition coil which solved the problem and I have a $400 spare ignition module...who could ask for more.
Jimmy

Back