Logo

2006 Honda 9.9

c.culp218

I bought a used 9.9 a couple about a week ago and the first day on the water i have an issue.. It ran fine for about half an hour and then the motor shut off when i was idle, i started the motor back up and it was stuck in neutral. After tinkering for a minute it then was stuck in reverse. So, rather than messing with it more i decided to reverse back to the ramp, it seems like it may be a problem with the linkage on the shifter since when i push it through F, N, and R there is no change but i can hear the rod clinking. Trying to figure out what my best approach to fix it would be ( DIY or take to a professional) any advice would help thanks guys!

Sounds like your shift rod adjusting nut may have backed off. This happens when the "jam" nut that hold it in place is not tightened properly. Look for the rod and nuts on the front side of the "leg" just below where the engine swivels. If they have come apart, it is easy enough to put them back together and make the adjustment yourself. There are many of us here that can help you do this.

Look at the parts page below and find item 10 on your outboard. If you look at the case where item 10 bolts to, you will see a small hole depicted. That is where the shift rod protrudes up and out of the gearcase and where you will see and be able to access it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...6 XHSA /GEAR CASE + EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

If you have any trouble locating it, get back to me and I'll try to describe it in another way.

Check out the shift adjustment in this procedure.

Attachments

• ml.repaw05v.water_pump_replacement_for_bf8d__bf9.9d_outboard_motors.pdf
    286.9 KB · Views: 420
Thanks guys that was very helpful, i found the spot as you described, and the lock nut and adjusting nut were both missing. now im just trying to figure out what size each nut is so i can go buy new ones.

thanks so much guys this really helped clear up how to fix this problem, but as ive tried to tweak it just right to keep the adjusting nut in place it still wants to vibrate up, where in the schematic it doesnt show a locking nut above the adjusting nut, is there a certain way it should be adjusted? im not sure if anyone has encountered this problem as well but its really putting a damper on my fishing time.. any info will help

There is only the one jam nut below the long adjustment nut. If you are sure you are getting the adjustment right and then tightening the two together tightly, then it should hold. If not, then the threads on one or both shift rods and/or nuts are "boogered" up.

Examine them carefully for having been cross threaded or over tightened, causing the rod to "neck down" or deform. You might be able to apply some Loc-Tite to the rods and nuts to "glue" them in place if that is the case. Other than that, you would either need to replace the damaged parts or find another way to secure them.

If it were me, and they were damaged to the point I couldn't get them "jammed" enough to hold, then I would silver braze (solder) them in place after obtaining a good adjustment. The silver solder is extremely strong yet can be easily melted out if removal ever becomes necessary like when you want to do a water pump replacement..

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back