Logo

HELP! Fuel pump necessary on Palmer P-60??

clyonsking

Sorry to be so dramatic, but a quick browse of the archive is making me nervous. We have just had an emergency repair to our P-60 that involved the mechanic bypassing the electric fuel pump altogether because it seems to have failed. He assured us this would not affect the engine because "that's the way it works in a tractor". However, posts here suggest that a pump is necessary when the engine is in a boat, not a tractor. Details: The gas tank is well above the carb, and the only thing between them now is the fuel filter/separator (the Racor spin-on type with metal bowl, shut-off valves on both sides of the filter). I'm wondering if the fuel pump is needed because the engine in a boat may be running in rough waves that might affect the gravity feed? In that case we are OK to get home, as we are in sheltered waters. But if there is a safety issue, advice would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

Sorry to be so dramatic, but a quick browse of the archive is making me nervous. We have just had an emergency repair to our P-60 that involved the mechanic bypassing the electric fuel pump altogether because it seems to have failed. He assured us this would not affect the engine because "that's the way it works in a tractor". However, posts here suggest that a pump is necessary when the engine is in a boat, not a tractor. Details: The gas tank is well above the carb, and the only thing between them now is the fuel filter/separator (the Racor spin-on type with metal bowl, shut-off valves on both sides of the filter). I'm wondering if the fuel pump is needed because the engine in a boat may be running in rough waves that might affect the gravity feed? In that case we are OK to get home, as we are in sheltered waters. But if there is a safety issue, advice would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

The electric fuel pump is definitely needed as it ensures constant fuel pressure that is specified by a carburetor. If you have free fall pressure of fuel you will not know precisely how much of pressure (psi) is there, and it will be changing depending on the fuel level. Moreover, this fuel pump must satisfy marine requirements as it functions in the closed poorly ventilated space. I just replaced one on my Palmer P-60. Note that my tank is positioned low, but the fuel filter is positioned high, thus when iginition is not on the fuel pump is not sending the pressure to the carburetor, otherwise without the pump fuel will always be comming into carburetor, which poses a security issue.

YES you need a fuel pump... Don't leave port without it.... I would be worried about the quality of that "Mechanic"

On a tractor the fuel comes out the bottom of the tank... The tank to the carb is about 9-12" drop... The tractor is on land and so even the though the fuel is sloshing around it is providing a near constant flow/pressure to the carb.

On a boat. The fuel is drawn up and out of the tank (At least is should be in case of fuel line failure)... Also depending on what wave you have just ridden... the fuel will be much more active in your tank. So a fuel pump is the only way to provide constant flow/pressure to your carb.

Back