Logo

Thin cracks everywhere...did I make a huge mistake buying this?

Mahones

Hi folks. So I just bought a 1988 Sunray bowrider for $2500. I sort of went out on a limb with this one and after taking it noticed TONS of very fine cracks all over the hull. Most of these cracks are so thin I can barely feel them with my fingernail but they look terrible due to the staining and grime from being in the water. I'm really worried that I made a huge mistake based on how bad these look. Are these likely just old gel-coat cracking? The boat doesn't leak and otherwise runs great. I would really appreciate the help of some folks who know more about this stuff than I do.

2012-07-21 16.38.43.jpg2012-07-21 15.44.52.jpg2012-07-21 15.45.00.jpg2012-07-21 15.48.51.jpg2012-07-21 15.49.04.jpg2012-07-21 15.49.18.jpg

some of those look pretty significant, and the coloration would indicate that water is getting in there. Now, as far as repair, start with the transom, drill a couple of small holes below the waterline to see if you have rot there. If you do, then your transom is compromised and will have to be addressed before you bother to do anything else. Otherwise, superficial cracks can be dealt with using Capt Trolly Creeping crack repair, or one of the west marne products. Larger cracks should be ground down and re-glassed, a the very least it looks like you have a lot of elbow work, but again, check that transom first.

Thanks for the reply emac. I'm really regretting the purchase of this boat now that I see how extensive this cracking is. I may take it to a qualified repair shop to have them give the boat a once-over and let me know what i'm looking at here. Originally I had hoped this was just old age cracks..but the transom cracks have be really worried.

Another option is if the engine is fine, find a new hull. Theres a lot of sellers of boats out there, and if you find one with a bad engine more than likely the seller will be motivated.

Back